New redfoot mommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrilac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
My family just got our first redfoot (cherry head) hatchling at noon today. She (everything is a she in my house, except my poor husband) is amazing; we are so in love with her (she has a heart on her shell)! I posted pictures of her in the picture section.

Anyway my question is, her humidity is at 75% and she has taken a bath dunking her head in the water and is now hiding in her moist moss. Do you think that I need to get the humidity higher in her enclosure or is this just normal redfoot behavior?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just got through reading "The Care and Maintenance of the REDFOOT TORTOISE in Captivity by Mike Pingleton. Thanks to Terryo for recommending it. Wonderful, wonderful information. I recommend it to anyone who has a tortoise. He says that the humidity level should be between 60 and 80% and they should be fine. I know I've read threads on here that say theirs has even higher levels so I guess that's fine too. Anyway just my input hope it helps you. Candy :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Burrowing into substrate is normal. Increase the humidity by misting and keep the enclosure free from cold and or drying drafts of air.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mike's book, although very good, is a bit dated. He has another one going to press very soon.

I think as more info comes together, we will find that babies and young Red-foots need the higher levels of humidity- an area of 95% or so, with the rest of the habitat being over 75%. As they get older, it seems they become more tolerant of drier conditions but always want access to high humidity.

Dr. Mader, in "Reptile Surgery and Medicine" espouses offering most reptiles a humidity gradient much like we do for temperatures- I think this is a great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.