New Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemiss

5 Year Member
I picked up a couple bricks of coconut coir last night. It has the consistency of old coffee grinds, and smells like fresh tobacco. Im not too keen on it, but then again, Im not the one tromping around in it all day. She was in her hide this morning before I left, so Ill see how shes doing when I get home this afternoon. I did replace her bright basking bulb with a CHE, makes it a little easier on the eyes now I think. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, its great to have found this site. I was referred here from reptilescanada, which doesnt seem to have a lot of regular, knowledgeable posters, in regards to RFs.

artemiss

5 Year Member
Since I put coconut bedding in, I seem to have gotten a fly problem. Little fruit flies. I never had them before, but now I have a swarm constantly buzzing around the enclosure. I have some cypress mulch on its way, so as soon as it comes, I am going to get rid of the coconut. Has anyone else had any problems using this?

By the way, here is a pic of my girl, she doesnt like to be watched while eating. And yes, she does have pyramiding, I dont think her previous owner gave too much concern to proper care.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 31

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Small bugs- fungus flies (the small fruit flies, probably) and springtails/snow fleas are natural results of too damp substrates. I have seen them in coconut and cypress. I have not seen them in Mosser Lee moss, but that may be because it is so acidic.

Status
Not open for further replies.