Calcium/Vitamins

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I alternate days sprinkling a pinch of calcium and vitamins on Lerato's food. Is this okay or am I overdoing it? And will it harm her if I continue this trend? I do take Sundays off where I don't put anything in her food. She gets daily 30 minute soaks and at least 5 days a week she gets 20 minutes outside eating grass. Yes, at just under 4 months she's eating grass! While outside, I supervise every movement she makes like a hawk. She also gets a variety of fresh vegetables, flowers, and leaves.

Attachments

• 20180818_225851.jpg
    20180818_225851.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 61

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use calcium two or three times a week, and I don't use vitamins.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of vegetable are you feeding?
You can give too much calcium and it's as bad as too little. I would cut it back to a small pinch 2 times a week.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I use endive, escarole, Opiunta, spring mix (that i pick the spinach out of), and all the good stuff that's safe on the list. I will never give her fruit until maybe her birthday and that will be one strawberry. I have an aloe vera and hibiscus plant. I've read over 500 threads so far to know what is safe. I'm currently at 44 of 188..lol In her diet, I try to maintain a 70% grasses/hays and 30% flowers/weeds. I've been really doing my homework by watching all of the leopard tortoise YouTube videos and instructions. I find it hilarious that over 80% of the information is wrong about care. I do think the British lady that goes by the name of HappyTortoises is the best though. But all in all, the only thing that I'm lacking is enclosure size. Lerato is about 3 inches and weighs 68 grams. I got her from Elohi and her parents are Freckles and Watson. She was about 60 grams as of August 1st. The current enclosure is 24x24 closed chamber that is maintained at 95-110 basking, day ambient is 85-90, cool area is 85 and night temp doesn't go below 85 as well. I know I'll have to upgrade soon. I'm just hoping I can stretch it out until early spring to upgrade.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I also ordered African grazer mix and the testudo mix from Tortoise Supply and will be throwing in a few seeds in a section of the enclosure as well as growing some in a mix tub. A cuttlebone is also always available in her enclosure as well as fresh water. Is wheat grass safe?

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
For better or for worse, I treat my four CDTs just as I do myself. I feed a well-balanced and varied diet that is appropriate for our breed. Because I also have a small parrot, I add the shaved remains of it's cuttle-bone every month or so. I lean towards the thought that any added supliments may throw the nutritional balance of our tortoises out of kilter. Our tortoises are housed outdoors here where we live in the Southern California deserts and spend much of their day grazing. This would not apply to juviniles; I may well be convinced to suppliment their diet.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
For better or for worse, I treat my four CDTs just as I do myself. I feed a well-balanced and varied diet that is appropriate for our breed. Because I also have a small parrot, I add the shaved remains of it's cuttle-bone every month or so. I lean twords the thought that any dietary suppliments to pur proper tortoise may throw their
nutritional balance out of balance. Our tortoises are housed outdoors here where we live in the SouthernCalifornia deserts and spend much of their day grazing. This would not apply to juviniles; I may well be convinced to suppliment their diet.
I appreciate all of your advice. I just want nothing short of perfection for my tortoise. I also want to learn as much as I can so I can educate my family in case I go to training or get deployed again overseas.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I should also have add to my previous post that tortoises housed under artificial conditions may well require suppliments, such as calcium and vitamin D3. Whether housed indoors or out, keepers should always be aware of the importance of balanced nutrition . . . I note especially the balance of calcium to phosphorus in the diet.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I should also have add to my previous post that tortoises housed under artificial conditions may well require suppliments, such as calcium and vitamin D3. Whether housed indoors or out, keepers should always be aware of the importance of balanced nutrition . . . I note especially the balance of calcium to phosphorus in the diet.
Good point. That's why I'm throwing out my curb feelers to see what's everybody's take on it. I mean honestly, my 68 gram 3 inch tortoise doesn't finish all of her food, so that means that the vitamin/calcium that I put on the food is not all eaten at that time. She usually eats half and I end up throwing it away after a few hours only to repeat the process in the afternoon. (I only apply it once a day, btw)