Calcium w/out D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central TX
I use Zoo Med's Reptivite's calcium sup without D3. Is this ok for my sulcatas and leopards? Or should I use 'with D3'?

LT

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
If I'm not wrong, I believe D3 is obtained through the sunlight so if they are outside a lot, I would say it's ok. If they are inside, then I would get the calcium with D3.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
My Hermann lives inside but she goes outside a bit when it is sunny and warm. My vet told me to give her calcium and D3 because she does not spend too much time outside.

Isa

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Since the indoor enclosure is right at the eastside window, my torts have the benefit of all the morning sunrays. When the sun comes up, they bask themselves where the rays shine in. In addition, I take them outside after I come home from work, when there's still some sunshine left. This is a daily routine. Do you think that's enough UV for a day?

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Lil' Tortie said:
Since the indoor enclosure is right at the eastside window, my torts have the benefit of all the morning sunrays. When the sun comes up, they bask themselves where the rays shine in. In addition, I take them outside after I come home from work, when there's still some sunshine left. This is a daily routine. Do you think that's enough UV for a day?

I believe I've read that a significant amount of UV light is filtered by window glass. So although the light comes through the window and the tortoises get the benefit of basking in the light, they're not receiving the essential UV rays they need to produce Vitamin D.

Has anyone else heard this?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Chelonologis and Lil' Tortie, It is true, most of the UVB is filtered out if it goes though glass or regular window screen. But if you are getting your tort outside daily or have a uvb bulb then I would say be careful of using calcium with D3. Too much D3 is just as bad as too little.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lil' Tortie said:

The only benefit from the sun through a window is warmth. The window successfully blocks any rays that hit it, and they bounce right off.

Yvonne

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Correct on windows filtering UV. I got a meter over a month ago and tested it out. I went outside first and pointed the meter at the sun and got a reading of 328 and then went inside to where the sun was coming through the window and got a reading of 8. Now I have dual-paned windows so that may even filter out more than a regular window but 8 is not enough to do any good.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
And all the while I thought I had it made... Thanks, guys! That's very helpful. :)

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
too much d3 is bad crazy1? i have all my torts outside and now and i give them cal with d3

Status
Not open for further replies.