Calcium with D3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
When I bought my two russian tortoises last month at a petshop/breeder they also sold me a 100W Powersun self-ballasted mercury vapor UVB lamp and Zoo-Med Repti Calcium with D3 because the tortoises would be kept almost exclusively indoors for the time being. From what I've read, it sounds like the D3 may not be needed and possibly unwanted due to the UVB. I also just bought the Total Nutrition for Tortoises from Carolina Pet Supply (arrived today). Is the calcium with D3 appropriate in this case?

Thanks!

Patrick

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Agreed! When a tort gets UVB from the sun or a bulb, it is my belief that their body will make what they need and if you supplement D3 it can build up in the system and become toxic because its fat soluble. Calcium on the other hand is water soluble and is tougher to overdose on, but too much calcium can cause problems of its own. TNT is a great supplement because its all natural so you can use as much or as little as you'd like. I would still use a pure calcium in addition to it though. I like to do a calcium sprinkling over the food daily for hatchlings, ever other day for yearlings/juvenilles, and every few days for adults. I use a pizza shaker (like for cheese and red pepper flakes, found it at Kohl's and it has bigger holes than a salt shaker). The Powersun is pretty good, but when you replace it after 12 months I'd get a Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat (not UV Heat, which is lower UVB output). Take a look at the test data here if your a geek like me: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm

moswen

5 Year Member
i usually just scrape off some cuttlebone, no one ever says that's bad

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Do you have a balcony or someplace outside that you can let them get some rays? I still think sun is the best but bulbs can work. I just use cuttlebone and no D3.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I do have a balcony but there's not a convenient way to get them out there with any regularity... maybe weekends only. I guess the main question is this. Is it sufficient to give them calcium without D3 if using the UVB light? or Is it unhealthy to give them the D3 while using a UVB light?

Thanks!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Maybe you can give it a balance of supplements.
Give your tort a supplement. I use tetrafauna's reptocal because the dose of d3 isnt too high compared to other brands. (1-2x/week) Then maybe a few times a week you sprinkle some pure calcium onto the food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your question is a good and reasonable one, but all of our answers are just opinions and and people sharing what works for them in their situation. There are a lot of variables and you will probably be fine either way.

If it were me, I would just get them sunshine as much as possible and go really light with the D3, once in a while. Even once a week sun, is better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.