Calcuim supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
can anyone tell me do I want a calcuim supplement with or with vit.D3 for sulcata's 2 of mine are rescue and have some pyrimiding and I'm hoping we can out grown it thanks glenda

sophie24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
glendab63 said:
can anyone tell me do I want a calcuim supplement with or with vit.D3 for sulcata's 2 of mine are rescue and have some pyrimiding and I'm hoping we can out grown it thanks glenda

hi ya you do need d3 i give ares it 3 times a week

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sophie24 said:
glendab63 said:

hi ya you do need d3 i give ares it 3 times a week

thank you I went ahead and got a big bottle of it with the D3 because no one would advice me so i figured it could not hurt thank you for replying I do feel better now thanks,will it also be ok for a pair of Leporads I just bought today and will be going after this weekend thanks again Glenda

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
waco tx
you only need D3 when they are not in the natural sunlight.. they can O.D on to much vitamins, so if they are outside in the sun at least 20 minutes a day then D3 isnt needed, and additional D3 dose can be unhealthy for your torts.. so if they are outside then just pur calcium is what you need.....

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Glenda, Calcium with D-3 should only be used if your tort is not outside or under UVB bulbs. mtdavis817254 is definiely correct, in that a tort can Over Dose on Vitamins. Hypervitaminosis D is Over Dosing on Vitamin D this causes kidney failure (renal disease). I personally like to use Calcium Carbonate powder which you can get at most drug stores or health food stores (cheaper this way too).

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks guys I'll go ahead and get them some calcium without the D3 as well ,that way if I can graze outside in the winter I'll have the stright calcuim and if I have to use more artifical light this winter I'll have the D3 calcuim thanks again you guys are great

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If you’re using a UVB bulb inside you would not use D-3. D-3 is produced by Ultra Violet Light Rays be from the sun or from UVB bulbs this vitamin allows your tortoise to use Calcium. Too much D-3 can cause Kidney Disease or renal failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.