calendar contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
If I'm reading Jacqui right...she has struck a veritable gold mine! Why leave empty spaces empty? Why not mark each holiday with a tortoise picture? Instead of a white page with the dates...how about a 'faded' tortoise picture as the background? This way you get more 'winners'. The first twelve get the glory and the second twelves as background for the date layout! In addidtion, there can be 'thumbtacked' pictures all over the place...:cool:

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I also like the idea of incorporating more pictures into the calendar. And the idea of making it more anonymous until the calendar came out would be cool too, all the picture submissions could then be viewed and picked by someone (like Josh) that is not directly involved with all the threads and conversations. An entry fee as a downpayment would work - but it might be quite a bit of extra work to keep track of who paid that fee.. Maybe? I also agree more natural shots should be used and more seasonal, rather than holiday specific. I think that pumpkins or snow.. Along those lines is great but when you start getting into holiday specific it's almost too specific, especially since we have members all around the world. Also think mini sessions would be a neat idea and the main calendar should be started much sooner.. Most usually are on a strict budget that close to the holidays(like myself) and could not afford one. :(
Not sure if I left anything out? But will keep checking back. These are all great ideas. Oh yeah and that's just my opinion. :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
yagyujubei said:

Where is there a turtle in the calendar? I didn't see one.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I must be blind, because I only see tortoises in the whole calendar.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
yagyujubei said:
I think that if restrictions are added to pictures it will be a problem. There were under 50 entries with no restrictions. I think that the contest was almost an afterthought in 2011, with only a week or so to submit.If you want people to give these as christmas gifts, they should be on sale before thanksgiving, and delivered in time for the holidays. The calendar entry thread was almost never visible because it was getting bumped off all the time. Many members probably didn't even know there was one. In theory a different species every month sounds great.What if there are 100 great sulcata entries, and only one poor radiated entry? Same chance? I think picking the best pictures irregardless of species will yield the best calendar. I think that the picture should be imprinted with species info in the final version. I think an entry fee is a BIG MISTAKE. I wouldn't pay it. Also, there IS a turtle in the new calendar.

IAWTC, all good points.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have not seen the calendar yet but Dennis had the photo of the hatchling coming out the egg and its a Eastern Box Turtle...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
dmarcus said:
I have not seen the calendar yet but Dennis had the photo of the hatchling coming out the egg and its a Eastern Box Turtle...

Oh OK...I think it was Feb? I didn't think it was a box turtle hatchling, because I thought the rules said only tortoises....I could be mistaken..I usually am. LOL

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
terryo said:
Oh OK...I think it was Feb? I didn't think it was a box turtle hatchling, because I thought the rules said only tortoises....I could be mistaken..I usually am. LOL

You are not mistaken this time Terry, give yourself some credit! :p that was rule #1.. I have no idea what kind it is.. Can't even find the pic now to look just out of curiosity, but too late to point it out now I guess.
Still good points everyone is posting, I just think someone, maybe a mod?, needs to make sure everyone is sticking w whatever rules are posted for the contest or there is no point of the rules. It's hard to keep up w a bunch of rules w so many users I'm sure and i dont really have a solution but idk just my opinion.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
terryo said:
dmarcus said:

I checked the photo contest entry thread and it clearly says
Tortoise Name: Noname
Tortoise Species: Eastern Box Turtle

I don't have an issue with it, it was a great photo...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, just for keeping all the suggestions in one place, let me suggest here and now that we accept turtles in the contest too.

I don't know how much trouble it would be to have two pictures per month, like a split screen? Maybe that would get more pictures into the calendar.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
emysemys said:
Ok, just for keeping all the suggestions in one place, let me suggest here and now that we accept turtles in the contest too.

I don't know how much trouble it would be to have two pictures per month, like a split screen? Maybe that would get more pictures into the calendar.

That's what I was thinking with two per month, like side by side. I think that would still look good. Especially if there was variety in the photos. I have made calendars before through Walgreens and they are typically same price and turn out great this way.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Melly-n-shorty said:
emysemys said:
One thing that has always bothered me about our calendar is that I never know (unless I happened to recognize the animal) who won. I want to see the type of tortoise and the keeper's name on the final product.

I love this idea.

I 2nd it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
emysemys said:
One thing that has always bothered me about our calendar is that I never know (unless I happened to recognize the animal) who won. I want to see the type of tortoise and the keeper's name on the final product.

I love this idea.

I 2nd it.

DITTO

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is a page from a calendar from another forum. You could do something like this, only using two pictures or more if you want.

036-21.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
terryo said:
This is a page from a calendar from another forum. You could do something like this, only using two pictures or more if you want.

036-21.jpg

That looks nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.