CALL FOR ACTION Salinas, Central California - HELP Tim the Turtleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
CALL FOR ACTION TFO MEMBERS:

The following was posted on a gopherus forum. Please help Tim the Turtleman. Please also consider bailing out on a government bailed out bank. This insensitivity and lack of compassion has to stop. We all know something could have been worked out, with all the programs that are suppose to be implemented, but are not. In any case, hurt the animals, pay the price. Bail out on them banks, people. For now, hopefully most of these chelonians can make it into loving TFO educated homes.

This is a news article from yesterday re local guy in Salinas who lost his home to foreclosure and had over 80 different tortoises, with another 20 eggs and hatchlings that are all now homeless.

The local SPCA took over care of them and their #is (831) 373-2631 if you can help. I do not know the types of tortoises, but the SPCA said they were all well taken care of and that they were going to begin the process of finding them homes as the man can longer care for them.
The news article provided his email address as he too is hoping to help find people to adopt his tortoises.
Here is his email address and the link to the news article.
If you are interested in having a pet tortoise, or you can forward this to someone who may be interested, you can email timturtleman@ gmail.com

http://www.ksbw. com/news/ central-californ ia/salinas/ salinas-house- filled-with- exotic-reptiles- seized-by- bank/-/5738906/ 20335400/ -/ycskkw/ -/index.html? absolute= true

SALINAS, Calif. —Tim McLaughlin has big turtle troubles.

A bank recently evicted and banned McLaughlin from his house on Paseo Hermoso in Salinas. While losing your home is never easy, it's even harder when the possessions you have to move include two boa constrictors and more than 50 giant tortoises.

PHOTOS: Exotic reptiles roam outside Salinas house

After the bank posted eviction notices on the house and security officers showed up on the property, neighbors began wondering what would happen to the large exotic reptiles. At least 40 were still roaming the front and back lawns Tuesday afternoon.

The SPCA of Monterey County said McLaughlin had until Wednesday morning to move his reptiles or they would be seized by SPCA officers at the request of the bank.

In a last-minute move, McLaughlin was able to get his two 14-foot long red-tailed boa constrictors and all of his tortoises out of the house by Wednesday's deadline. He is now looking for people who can provide loving homes for them.

If you are interested in having a pet tortoise, you can email McLaughlin at [email protected]

SPCA investigator Stacie McGrady said the reptiles are in good health, were well cared for, and legally owned because the house is in an unincorporated area of Monterey County. Some of the tortoises are extremely rare breeds.

"The snakes I observed were appropriately housed in large aquarium tanks," McGrady said. The property had ponds for the turtles to swim in, blooming plants and shelters for shade, and signs reading "turtle crossing."

McLaughlin is well-known in the reptile enthusiast community and said he acquired his numerous reptile friends over the past 15 years. McLaughlin also has many tortoise eggs and hatchlings, putting his tortoise total up to 120.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-ca.../20335400/-/ycskkw/-/index.html#ixzz2UsvDmhJx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just a real shame. Everything looks nicely cared for.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
This is sad. I would be willing to adopt but im so far away. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
All I can do is stare at this, it is so heart breaking. Makes me guaranteed to play the lottery. This is numbing reality. Sigh…

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay guys it is sad, but let's all try to focus on helping him rehome his tortoises (or find folks who would keep them til he can get back on his feet). Has anybody checked to see what tortoises there are to find homes for?

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
I sent him an email but no response yet....

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I checked and its only 12 hrs. for me and I've got a sister at the 7 hr. mark. I went to the website for the shelter and I only saw 3 red ears that I'm unwilling to smuggle into Oregon, where they're illegal to own.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
If he has any RF torts id be interested. I am in NJ so far, but willing to assume all costs to get a tort here. Anyone have any ideas what kind of torts they are?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they are all sulcatas from what I understand. about 40 of them??
I really hope the SPCA is allowing them stay at the house, and they didn't move them. however.. in an article I saw the Media posted exact location.. so if they don't get stolen it will be a miracle. Especially since they said they were rare and valuable.
Sulcatas were they only thing mentioned, that and few snakes.. and they were very nice looking..

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I just sent an email to see what he says. Hmph, all sullies hunh? Anyone send Tom this info? He the sulcata whisperer, he may be interested, idk...Ill ask a few friends see if anyone is wanting a grown sully. If the "buyer" pays all costs would the guy be willing to ship?.....very sad story

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
It's about two hrs away for me, I can't keep one but I may be able to help someone here get one. Has anyone heard back from the guy yet to confirm if all are sullys? I would take a red foot or two.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Ken I can shave a few hours off your drive if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

clucey

5 Year Member
I will repost on twitter and fb to help as best I can. Prayers to the torts and their keeper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I sent an email also. I have a list of people waiting to adopt sulcatas. I can help as he is only a couple of hours away for me. But are we sure this is a real thing, so far it seems no one has had any reply. Has anyone called the spca down there?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank you everyone. I imagine that there is a bit of madness going on in Salinas with the newscast and the deadline. I sent Tim an email also and let him know that TFO members were willing to help him with educated homes, for the good of his babies. He may just be boxing things up. As soon as I can find out which bank, that Board of Directors will get a piece of my mind, certified letter. Big banks, bleh! The only thing they give the American taxpayers, is grief.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully, this will make a difference for Tim and his tortoises.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
It's a shame that's this has to happen! Ill gladly try to adopt one! I need to speak with the general wifey and ask first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.