Calling Madkins and any other Geometry heads..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Yesterday I set up a new 'tub' for my DBT's. It's listed as 110 gal. but I only have 15" of water in it.

I'll get a few pics if anyone would like to set it.

In my other life I did some tool "designing' so the 'print' below showing specs is usable at best.... [ crooked - out of proportion - what do you expect using a drinking glass, marker and a ruler? ] man would I like to be on the board again - back when things were drawn by hand!!!

My Q? is.. how many gallons of water do I have in this tub?

DBTTub_0001.jpg

The above represents the water.. I failed to put the height.. again it's 15" of water.

How many gallons aprox.?

Thanks...

NERD

chadk

10 Year Member!
If I REALLY wanted to know how many gallons I had, I would have used gallon jugs to fill it, and just counted as I went :)
(and I was an electrical engineering major in college... )

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm getting 79.4 gallons at the smallest dimensions, so with the sloping sides it's probably around 85 or so gallons.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Lessee... Making a few assumptions and brushing off my old calculator...

IF the the rounded corners form a half circle each 29" across, we can cut them off and make two tubs- a round rub 29" across and 15" deep, and a rectangular tub 13" x 29" x 15".

Cylinder- V=pi R^2h, or pix14.5^2x15= 9908 cubic inches
Rectangle- V=lbh= 13x29x15= 5655 cubic inches, for a total of 15563

1 cubic inches = 0.00432900433 US gallons (from Google), so that times the cubic inches equals about 67.4 gallons by my calculations.

I don't know how to factor in the slopes, but they probably do not add a lot more, maybe a few more gallons.

This all assumes that the ends can be cut off as I said, and that the slope is not great (but we don't know the height, so can only guess.)

If the corners are just rounded, it is basically a 42x29x15 rectangle, maybe taking a bit off for the corners- say 40x29x15, or 17400 cubic inches, or about 75 gallons.

The real answer is probably between the two- 67.4 and 75 gallons if I'm doing the math right.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You guys are great! Helping like this. I'm going to show this to my 13 year old tomorrow and see if he can figure it out. He went to bed already. He just finished geometry at my husbands high school this summer and got a A+ and he's only going in the 8th grade. He was with 11th and 12th graders and pulled the highest grade in the class. I'm curious how he will do with this. See you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.