calvin is not eating

cajunchef

Location (City and/or State)
hilton head south carolina
my 20 year old sulcate has decided for the past 5 months to not eat, and just sleeps unter the basking lamp. he had a very healthy appetite up until this time, eating romaine and leafy lettuce, which has been his diet for 20 years. I have noticed this in years past, but not for this long a period. he is still awake, still takes his warm soakings, but will not eat. could this have to do with his eyesight? but I will put the lettuce up to his mouth, he sometimes opens it, but will not eat. I changed light brightness, but for the most part, he is in same environment he has been for his entire life. look for any advice, thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A 20 year old sulcata should be eating grass and weeds, or even hay, not leafy lettuce and romaine. He hasn't been getting enough fiber in his diet, and it sounds like the poor diet has now caught up with him. Bear in mind, we can only go by what we've read in your post. I may be way off base, but from what I'm reading, I'd have to assume there's something wrong with him because of his diet.

Please tell us more about how this tortoise lives, for example, outside or indoors, if indoors, what size enclosure, etc. Maybe even pictures. Anything you can tell us will help us give you good information to help your tortoise.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
5 months without eating is a long time! 5 months ago, we were in summer, when he should have been eating everything in sight. Was he outdoors in the summer, at least?

cajunchef

yes he goes outside, he lives on an island, but stays inside in a 4 ft by 5 ft enclosure. yes he did eat everything in sight in the spring, much more than usual. he would eat, or has eaten grass outside, but have always been careful as we live in a vast salt terrain, due to the ocean. again, this has been his lifestyle for 20 years, we did have a hurricane in sept, but he was already on his sonesta.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Perhaps it's time to take him to a vet that's knowledgeable about torts. Maybe have some blood work done to see if anything is wrong.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't think it has anything to do with his eyesight. Charlie won't accept food put in his mouth if he doesn't want to eat. Usually if he won't eat, it is because he isn't warm enough. A 20 year old sulcata is likely too big for a basking lamp. A basking lamp concentrates the heat in too small of a spot. The tortoise gets warm in one area but away from the light, the rest of him is still cold. Does he have a well-heated area? At least 80F? How big is your sulcata?

cajunchef

new update on Calvin... Took him to a vet that specializes in tortoise, who I located from the tortoise forum page, was told he was loaded with pinworms, from checking his stool, and vet is able to tube feed him, and next to give him meds for the worms, once he gets some more strength. Thank you tortoise forum as you all have helped me try to save my tortoise life. This vet is super, and we will switch our dogs to him. Gumbo all around!! thank you