Can a clear plastron heal and solidify in my leopard hatchling?

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
we've had our baby leopard girl since the end of October and I was wondering if her internal organs aren't working wouldn't she be dead by now? I ask this because a forum member said that she wasn't developed all the way because her umbilical scar didn't heal properly because the Breeders started her off to dry. She's still seems pretty active once she gets warmed up she was out eating clovers yesterday which was nice to see...she just recently recovered during the whole month of February by getting Pedialyte carrots soaks as suggested by some members of The Forum which greatly helped her since she was dehydrated... when I took her to the vet at the end of January she gave her some saline water injections which helped her greatly and then shortly thereafter I started her on the daily soaks twice a day 20 minutes minimum sometimes 30 minutes lately the last couple days she doesn't want to seem to soak more than 5 or 10 minutes and then she's up and wanting to go my thought is should I cut back on the soaks since her plastron looks clear? And is there hope of her plastron returning to normal? And Lastly has anybody in here used tcvm on their tortoises? I've used Chinese herbs with my other animals with great success and was just curious if anybody here has used them on their torts.. so my main question is can I heal the clear shell and are the soaks contributing to that problem and should I back off on them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The plastron will begin to straighten out and grow normally as time passes. I don't think you need any herbs or medicine on it.

If he/she is still alive at this point, it is probably going to be fine.

You should soak babies under 100 grams for 30-40 minutes a day, every day. Soaks don't cause any problems, and don't worry about what the tortoise "wants". Just keep the soak water warm for the whole soak, and you can change the water if it gets poopy as many times as you want during the soak. Sometimes its nice to have two soaking containers and when one gets poopy, transfer the tortoise over to the fresh one, and get the first one rinsed and ready again. This isn't necessary, but some people like it this way. These soaks are critically important for any baby tortoise , but especially for a dry started one.

Do you weigh the tortoise? Once it passes around 60 grams, you are out of the woods, so to speak. If its hovering around 50 grams and not growing, then you are firmly in the middle of the woods, and those long daily soaks are even more important.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
we've had our baby leopard girl since the end of October and I was wondering if her internal organs aren't working wouldn't she be dead by now? I ask this because a forum member said that she wasn't developed all the way because her umbilical scar didn't heal properly because the Breeders started her off to dry. She's still seems pretty active once she gets warmed up she was out eating clovers yesterday which was nice to see...she just recently recovered during the whole month of February by getting Pedialyte carrots soaks as suggested by some members of The Forum which greatly helped her since she was dehydrated... when I took her to the vet at the end of January she gave her some saline water injections which helped her greatly and then shortly thereafter I started her on the daily soaks twice a day 20 minutes minimum sometimes 30 minutes lately the last couple days she doesn't want to seem to soak more than 5 or 10 minutes and then she's up and wanting to go my thought is should I cut back on the soaks since her plastron looks clear? And is there hope of her plastron returning to normal? And Lastly has anybody in here used tcvm on their tortoises? I've used Chinese herbs with my other animals with great success and was just curious if anybody here has used them on their torts.. so my main question is can I heal the clear shell and are the soaks contributing to that problem and should I back off on them?
The soaks aren't causing the clear plastron. That's just a symptom of something else internal going on.