Can Anyone Explain This?

Nickolas

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I cannot figure out the reasoning behind this tortoise's strange anal scutes. I got the tortoise back in July, and it has since doubled in size. I am of course keeping high humidity with daily soaks and everything else. The scutes were like this when I got the tortoise. From what I understand, the tortoise was raised for the first year of its life with no water bowl, once a week soaks, and a diet of only lettuce. It is a miracle that he survived that. Does anyone know what factor may have affected his anal scutes like this?

I know this is a terrible thought, but is there any chance that somebody bent the scutes to try to prevent the tortoise from breeding in the future?

I'm really not sure what to think...

The tortoise seems to be behaving 100% healthy though...

It's current weight is about 300 grams.

20201224_155255.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably from poor husbandry during the first year. Human intervention did not cause it. It may never be a problem, but let's hope it opens as he (probably 'she') grows. You need to be vigilant and keep it clear of stuck poop.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they aren't cared for well, all sorts of weird stuff can happen. I've seen that sort of thing before. Nothing specific you can do about it, but you can offer optimal conditions and it will hopefully grow out of it.

One thing to watch out for right now is the outgoing feces getting trapped in there. Keep and eye on that. Daily soaks will loosen it up and you might need to occasionally clean out the area with a Q-tip or tooth brush.

P.S. Don't use the toothbrush for its intended purpose after you've used it on the tortoise. :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
I cannot figure out the reasoning behind this tortoise's strange anal scutes. I got the tortoise back in July, and it has since doubled in size. I am of course keeping high humidity with daily soaks and everything else. The scutes were like this when I got the tortoise. From what I understand, the tortoise was raised for the first year of its life with no water bowl, once a week soaks, and a diet of only lettuce. It is a miracle that he survived that. Does anyone know what factor may have affected his anal scutes like this?

I know this is a terrible thought, but is there any chance that somebody bent the scutes to try to prevent the tortoise from breeding in the future?

I'm really not sure what to think...

The tortoise seems to be behaving 100% healthy though...

It's current weight is about 300 grams.

View attachment 313852
If the condition stays as it is now as the tortoise grows larger, it will never be breedable. Hopefully you were not planning to breed it. If you were, I would seriously consider euthanasia or giving it away to someone who won't mind dealing with the retained fecal matter for the tortoise's lifetime.