the exception that proves the rule

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You know the rule that says if the anal scutes point straight back or inward the tortoise is a female? Well, I took in the exception to that rule last night.

This is what I thought was a male last night in the dark because the gular looks too big to be female:

rescue3612-03-13a_zps4c519c3f.jpg

It was dark when I got the tortoise, so I just put it in a spare warm section and forgot about it.

This a.m. I took the tortoise out and had a look at the underside. The anal scutes point straight back, however, the tail is quite long, reaching over to the back leg, and the plastron is starting to show slight concavity:

rescue3612-03-13b_zpsfcb2dd13.jpg

rescue3612-03-13c_zps0c6c4c3d.jpg

The tortoise was kept with another sulcata that was also male, but quite a bit bigger than this one. I'm wondering if fact that the other tortoise was bigger and probably top dog, influenced how this tortoise grew (anal scute wise).

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yep definitely a male. As far as the anal scutes growing differently from being around a larger male I wouldn't think that would be the case. I just think its an unusual variation in anal scute shape. Nice looking sulcata though

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Your so lucky that you just get tortoises like that! I have been semi looking for one for a long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you lived closer, you could have him!

argus333

5 Year Member
same thing just happen to me, now i too need a new female.