Can anyone guess my tortoise's age?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Will do, thank you ever so much, have an appointment with the vets on Friday to get him all checked out!
Always wise to begin, but make sure it's a reputable herp vet.
Sadly, a lot of ordinary vets are worse than useless.
There are a lot of very nice, interesting and knowledgeable folk on this Forum.:)
And then there's me.

Squirt16

London
Always wise to begin, but make sure it's a reputable herp vet.
Sadly, a lot of ordinary vets are worse than useless.
There are a lot of very nice, interesting and knowledgeable folk on this Forum.:)
And then there's me.
I am a bit worried now seeing as petsathome sold me the wrong things for my tortoise however I think I know my tort well enough now so I will be able to make s good judge of how he is doing he is a very perky fella!
You are very helpful and knowledge thank you for helping me out :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My advice is that this is a young Russian (Horsefield's) tortoise, not a Hermanni. He could do with a bit more moisture in his environment.

Squirt16

London
Probably not the answer which you expected when you started this thread, but you actually have a Horsfield's tortoise (also know as Russian tortoises), not a Hermann's.
This is a shock to me, the breeder said he was a Hermann!

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
This is a shock to me, the breeder said he was a Hermann!

I'd probably be wary of taking any other advice you got from them too, seeing as they supposedly bred him and doesn't even know the species!

Squirt16

London
My advice is that this is a young Russian (Horsefield's) tortoise, not a Hermanni. He could do with a bit more moisture in his environment.
Yes, it is a Russian.
Everything I posted still applies.
this is such a shock to me, I am worried now I have been treating him like a different species :(

Squirt16

London
I'd probably be wary of taking any other advice you got from them too, seeing as they supposedly bred him and doesn't even know the species!
He was also in a tank with another tortoise with wood chips as flooring so I suppose they wasn't that good!

Squirt16

London
The care is very similar.
They are both species of Testudo but a Russian stays a bit smaller and likes to dig, climb and fight a little more.
Check the care sheet, it's much the same.
Thank you so much!! Such a shock I was in panic. Looks like I'll have to adapt things a bit more

Squirt16

London
I have no idea why the member said that, unless it was in jest. Pay attention to who offers the advice. I would trust the members who have been active on the forum for a long time over a newbie.
Thank you, yeah I thought he looked fine they say if they can fit in their shells they're okay