My Russian Tortoise!

Shellington19

I received a Russian Tortoise for Christmas in 2016. I have been wondering and have been reading a lot about how much I should feed him. I have been doing about a fourth of a cup of lettuce twice a day, but recently switched to once a day at the same amount per serving. I occasionally give him watermelon or cantaloupe. (Around once every one- two weeks.) I was wondering if this is the correct way to do it, or if I should do more or less. He has also been getting these white lines on his shell as if it were growing or "expanding." The lines are also very sensitive to him. I was petting his shell on day and he jumped when I touched the area where the lines are. The place where I got him from didn't give a specific age, they only said "very young." I am assuming this is one- two years old. I was wondering if this is just his shell growing as he is growing, or if it is something that I should be a bit worried about or something that I should get checked. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Without a picture can't really say 100% but it is most likely growth lines. As for food. If he has a large proper enclosure you should feed him a pile as big as he is. If he eats it all give him more. He has to have more then just lettuce. A varied diet of weeds, and other greens are needed.
Please post pic of the tort, enclosure, temps, humidity, kind of bulbs/heat sources and how often you soak. Also please read the caresheet in the Russian section.