How big should my Russian be?

Cheapfuzz

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi everyone!

I purchased a 1 month old Russian tortoise named Winston from a breeder in July of this year. Every month I take a picture of him to keep track of his growth, just to see if there has been any change. It has been 4 months, and I think I see a bit of a difference in his overall size, but I was wondering how big he should be at this point and if he is growing at the right rate? I'm also going to start weighing him every month as well. Attached here are pictures of him the first day I got him in July 2022 and when I measured him in October 2022. (Also, If anyone could tell me If his shell looks healthy as well I would appreciate it :))

Attachments

• 20220708_180404.jpg
    20220708_180404.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221012_150310_078.jpg
    IMG_20221012_150310_078.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as he keeps growing and weight is important he is doing fine.
Be sure to feed him daily enough food that he can graze throughout the day.
Also be sure it's the right foods and a big variety of them. Daily 30 minute warm soaks and a low sided clay saucer water dish available daily.
Also that temps are correct 75-80 through the day, 95-100 basking and if you are not hibernating him, which you shouldn't the first year of getting him then night temps no lower then 70

Cheapfuzz

NJ
Thanks so much for your advice! He gets a lettuce blend, succulents or mazuri tortoise pellets every day and has a cuttlebone as well. He has a uv lamp and a heat lamp so temperatures are always around 80. I try to keep the soil moist my watering it every few days but I think im going to start misting his tank every day to keep the humidity up. He also has a water dish which I see him drink from sometimes but never really soaks in, so I will definitley start making time to soak him daily. Again thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it :) I love my little guy and want him to grow big and strong haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure the basking temp is 95-100 and if you can make the enclosure a closed chamber enclosure that will help with keeping humidity and temps right. Get a thermostat to run the heat on.
If you can add broad leaf weeds, add that, may be hard to find this time of year. Just he sure they are tort safe. Also add from the store small amounts of kale, endive, mustard and collard greens, radicchio, dandelion.