Can anyone id these weeds?

sheilae04

My rt usually is too busy traveling to stop and smell the roses, but this time he couldn't get enough of these weeds! Does anyone know what these are and if they're safe?

20160629_162415.jpg 20160629_162531.jpg 20160629_162546.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
Are you in California?
It looks like a type of "pellitory" - Parietaria sp. - not toxic, but the adhesive seeds can cause problems

sheilae04

I'm in Wisconsin. I actually wondered if it might be something called stickyweed.

sheilae04

Funny thing is I just checked out both pellitory and stickyweed, and they're pretty much the same thing! Thanks for your help, I think we have a winner!

RitaAbby

Funny thing is I just checked out both pellitory and stickyweed, and they're pretty much the same thing! Thanks for your help, I think we have a winner!

I do not believe sticky weed, also known as Cleavers, is the same as Pellitary.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pellit19.html#oth
https://altnature.com/gallery/cleavers.htm

I am also in Wisconsin and straw weed/sticky weed/Cleavers are the same- but I suppose any plant that sticks could be called Sticky Weed which is why they could be the same. Cleavers send out long runners and the aerials have small little stickers that seem to cling to everything - fabric, hair - nothing is sacred. It is very useful as a herbal medicinal - using the aerials which the plant sends out on long reaching "vines". Cleavers are at their prime by end of June and are dying off by mid July, unless heavily shaded. From the date of the post and images - Cleaver would look very different.

Pellitary, when I looked it up, has medicinal properties but the part used is the root. (great for toothaches when root is made into a paste). Which makes me believe it is not the same plant unless both are called sticky weed.

I am brand new to torts, so both could be okay foods - but for human consumption we can eat Cleaver but not Pellitary leaves. I add Cleaver to smoothies and make tinctures with it.