Minnesota weed ID

Haellyn

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello, can anyone ID these two weeds and tell me if they're safe for a Russian? I'm pretty sure the second is purslane, which the Tortoise Table said not to feed, but on the forums people are feeding it, so figured I'd double-check. :) Thanks!

Number 1:
20220709_172136.jpg

Number Two:
20220709_172023.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first one is spotted spurge. I think it's a natural food for western U.S. desert tortoises but none of my other species eats it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yvonne is right about the spurge. I'm a very open minded feeder but it's in the euphorbia plant family which is one of the few I won't feed. Too many that cause irritation. Desert tortoises can safely eat the one you have but for tortoises for which it isn't part of the native diet I wouldn't offer it. I wouldn't be worried if my tortoise ate a bit, I just wouldn't search it out. (My Russian showed zero interest in it the few times she saw it and she's not at all picky so I don't think you've lost much there.)

The second is indeed purslane and it is fine to feed although your Russian may not care much for it; my Russian will usually eat a bit of it when she comes out of hibernation. The Tortoise Table is extremely cautious and some of their science is murky or mammal based. The oxalic issue they mention here is a very common warning but in fact has no base in science. Like many things, purslane is fine in a varied diet.

Haellyn

Minnesota
Thank you both! The spurge was a mystery because we always called it creeping Charlie until recently. Good to know about the Tortoise Table, and I'll remember that about the oxalic thing. I'm not sure mine will eat the purslane, either, but it's worth trying.