Can anyone recommend some lighting supplies for my Herman tortoise?

Sunny_Sunday

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Are dandelion garnet stems ok for Herman tortoise? Why are solar meters so expensive? Can anyone recommend me a cheaper good quality one?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think they are relatively cheap for a specialized instrument. I don't know of a cheaper meter that is reliable.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Arcadia are a good make.
I use their T5 HO tube kit for UVB and also their flood basking bulbs.

You'll have to read the thread I linked to see exactly what you need to get for the Hermanns tort you are getting. (different species have different needs)
Depending on your temps you may also need a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat (torts need darkness to sleep and they just give heat)
All explained in Toms thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are dandelion garnet stems ok for Herman tortoise? Why are solar meters so expensive? Can anyone recommend me a cheaper good quality one?
Yes, dandelion stems are great for them.

Solarmeters are precision instruments that measure the specific wavelengths of UV that we need for our tortoises. Cheaper ones don't work and are a waste of money. In time you will save money because you won't be replacing bulbs ever 6 or 12 months that don't need replacing because they are still working perfectly fine.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I learned the hard way that the cheaper meters only read natural UV from the sun. They do not work for artificially generated UV (I.e. bulbs). They‘re a waste of money.