Can Baby sulcata eat those two thing

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, they can eat the spring mix, although not the healthiest thing you should be giving it. Grasses and weeds work best. When those are not readily available, I like to throw in some escarole and endive as staple items. Remember: sulcatas thrive on variety, so make sure you're not feeding the same food all the time. As for the Repashy..... they sell a Grassland Grazer variety that is perfectly suited for sulcatas. Been feeding it to mine for years.

SteveM

MS
Mine loves the dandelion and false dandelion leaves, what you have on the left and he's ~2.5-3 months old. I also have some pretty tall grass like plants but I don't know what they are and didn't see them in the Tortoise Table app.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes you can. However, the actual grass like what's on the right, probably won't interest him until he gets bigger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what "grass" I have.
Is that grass? I can't tell from the picture.

Babies can't eat big tough mature grass like that. They need tender, soft freshly sprouted grass, and I use scissors to chop it into small lengths for them. When I don't have that, I use soaked horse hay pellets to mix in to their greens instead.

SteveM

MS
It's grass like and roughly a foot tall but I don't know what it is. He mostly likes fresh kidney shaped clover, fresh off the vine lima bean leaves, collard greens, chopped up bits of timothy hay sometimes and he nibbles at grass when he's outside. I used to have to cut up the collard greens but his energy and strength levels have exploded over the last week, he rips that stuff up fairly easy on his own now.

SteveM

MS
Some spring mix has spinach, make sure it doesn't have that. This is from The Tortoise Table:

Attachments

• 8297.jpeg
    8297.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's grass like and roughly a foot tall but I don't know what it is. He mostly likes fresh kidney shaped clover, fresh off the vine lima bean leaves, collard greens, chopped up bits of timothy hay sometimes and he nibbles at grass when he's outside. I used to have to cut up the collard greens but his energy and strength levels have exploded over the last week, he rips that stuff up fairly easy on his own now.
Be sure the "clover" you are feeding isn't oxalis.

Hay is not appropriate for babies and Timothy is much too stemmy. He could choke and die on that. Soaked horse hay pellets, not cubes, that are turned to mush and mixed with greens work great for babies. Soaked horse hay cubes and chopped hay are great for them once they reach about 12 inches, or larger.

Collard greens shouldn't be offered more than about once a week. Favor endive and escarole as you main staples if you must use grocer store greens. Dandelion greens, arugula, and cilantro make nice additions on occasion too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some spring mix has spinach, make sure it doesn't have that. This is from The Tortoise Table:
That is not good info. Spinach is a good tortoise food when offered once in a while as part of a good variety. Like almost everything else, except fresh grass, spinach should not be fed exclusively every day.

Spring mix is not a good tortoise food because it is made of baby greens, which lack fiber even more so than more mature grocery store green plants. I like to use spring mix once in a while for smaller tortoises, but I add soaked horse hay pellets to it to add fiber, and a pinch of calcium powder to increase the low calcium levels.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of grass can I feed ?
Can I feed him the grass in front of my house?
Best to get grasses that are intended for grazing pasture animals. I use and recommend this one as it grows the best for me in side-by-side experiments year after year: https://www.groworganic.com/products/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation

You can use the grass from your lawn as long as there are none of the usual toxic lawn chemicals being used, and as long as it is suitably soft and edible for the size tortoise you are feeding. Lawn grass is usually too coarse and stiff to be fed to babies, but fine for older larger sulcatas.

SteveM

MS
I'm not trying to steal anybody's thread but I figured 2 newbies with food comments/questions in the same place would be better than having 2 seperate ones. Mine also likes African Violet leaves, they are crisp but velvety and not dry. I have also planted pansies, marigold, forget me not, hollyhock, aster and coleus indoors. I have plenty of different grasses (4-5) and weeds growing naturally, these are just an addition to that.

Reactions: Tom

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Be sure the "clover" you are feeding isn't oxalis.

Hay is not appropriate for babies and Timothy is much too stemmy. He could choke and die on that. Soaked horse hay pellets, not cubes, that are turned to mush and mixed with greens work great for babies. Soaked horse hay cubes and chopped hay are great for them once they reach about 12 inches, or larger.

Collard greens shouldn't be offered more than about once a week. Favor endive and escarole as you main staples if you must use grocer store greens. Dandelion greens, arugula, and cilantro make nice additions on occasion too.
What’s wrong that? That’s what I have in my yard

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What’s wrong that? That’s what I have in my yard
What? Oxalis? Oxalis is high in oxalates and isn't good as a steady diet because it causes goiter and maybe kidney stones.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Clover's ok as long as there's other stuff too.