Can human spread sickness to torts?

Emilia

Hi all,

I'm just wondering about the above. I fell sick with fever on Saturday and still am and it just hit me whether if i handle Bilbo too much it will pass to him/her.

Update: Bilbo has been growing recently and has a large appetite. He has a habit of staring at his feeding rock when he is hungry lol. He responses to his name being called too( though he ignores everything when he sleeps)
Overall i'm really happy with bilbo's progress. Except that he doesn't like to be held on my palm without peeing/pooping. Any tips so he won't do that while i carry him? This is also so that in case friends or relatives wanted to take a closer look or hold him he won't do the same to them. Most of them do adore him but I have to caution them about it and then they always give the same reaction. XD. So it would really be great if he could be held without excreting anything.

His enclosure is currently upstairs so I have to carry him down when I want to sunbathe him outside. He so far did that 3 times already -.-!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
No, mammal and reptile have different biologies I know of no known shared pathogens between them.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
No, mammal and reptile have different biologies I know of no known shared pathogens between them.

Many sources list salmonellosis (Salmonella bacteria), edwardsiellosis (Edwardsiella tarda bacterium), and camphylobacteriosis (Camphylobacter bacteria) as potential zoonotic diseases that humans can get from turtles and tortoises. Salmonellosis being the most common.

Remember to wash your hands well after handling a tortoise. Especially if newly acquired.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The OP wanted to know iff human can get tortoise sick.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I thought the wording "no known shared pathogens" was a bit confusing/misleading to new keepers so I just wanted to clarify it a bit. :) And in the process misspelled the Campylobacter. :) :) :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Non-primates are not going to get the flu or a cough or a cold from a human.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Non-primates are not going to get the flu or a cough or a cold from a human.
non primate? I guess that means you better wasb those monkeys good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
non primate? I guess that means you better wasb those monkeys good

We had to be careful around the baby apes and monkeys if a person had a cold or the flu. They could catch it from us and sometimes did.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
see I didn't know that, next time I have a flu and at the zoo I'm going to have some fun. :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi all,

I'm just wondering about the above. I fell sick with fever on Saturday and still am and it just hit me whether if i handle Bilbo too much it will pass to him/her.

Update: Bilbo has been growing recently and has a large appetite. He has a habit of staring at his feeding rock when he is hungry lol. He responses to his name being called too( though he ignores everything when he sleeps)
Overall i'm really happy with bilbo's progress. Except that he doesn't like to be held on my palm without peeing/pooping. Any tips so he won't do that while i carry him? This is also so that in case friends or relatives wanted to take a closer look or hold him he won't do the same to them. Most of them do adore him but I have to caution them about it and then they always give the same reaction. XD. So it would really be great if he could be held without excreting anything.

His enclosure is currently upstairs so I have to carry him down when I want to sunbathe him outside. He so far did that 3 times already -.-!
Bilbo probably doesn't like being held. When Charlie was a baby, I took him in for show and tell to my daughter's kindergarten. He couldn't stop pooping while he was there. It dawned on me that he was pooping because he was nervous or scared. Maybe he would feel more secure if you moved him to a box and then carried the box downstairs. He might even be feeling some motion sickness from being carried. Your friends can pet him without having to pick him up. Charlie was much shyer when he was younger. In the last few years he has become more sociable and approaches strangers with curiosity.