Can I buy another Hermann?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokatie

5 Year Member
Here's the deal:

I bought a baby Hermanns tortoise almost exactly a year ago. I would like to get him/her a friend (a baby), even though I am aware that tortoises don't get lonely. It would just be nice to see him/her have someone to spend his/her life with. I am also aware that when there are 2 males together they will fight, but I once read somewhere that if you raise them together they won't fight. I would like to know if it's possible to have another tortoise that mine won't fight with. If anyone can help, please do!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It doesn't matter if two males were raised together or not. Males of any Testudo species will usually become aggressive towards each other once they become sexually mature, some even before that. There are a few instances where males have lived very peacefully with each other but it's not their normal behavior to. One male will usually always take on the dominant role and claim their shared territory for his own.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Also, you will have to quarantine the new animal for a MINIMUM of 3 months to make sure it is healthy before housing it with your current tortoise. And have you thought about the size difference? The bigger animal will without a doubt, bully the smaller one and take the majority of the food. I don't know why you would want to do this?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
IF you do it.. be prepared to do the qurantine and also have two seperate enclosures always. so it isnt really a question of can you.. but should you. Its up to you and your situation.
You know they dont NEED a buddy, so dont force it on the other. if you WANT a 2nd tort for you.. then do it!

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I quarantined everything that I own as I brought in projects. There is only one species that I work with that I have not kept multiple males in the same pen with multiple females successfully and that would be yellow foots. Can males sometimes be a little bi*chy to each other, sure. But I have not had any real issues other than increased fertility since I made multiple males a rule in all of my colonies. Best to all, as always Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.