How can i tell if my juvenile hermann is a hermaphrodite?

Meesh

Location (City and/or State)
BRUNSWICK
My juvenile hermanns tortoise that I thought was a female now I'm not so sure.. I had it in with the females when i woke up to the "squeaks" it was trying to mount/mate with a female. So thats when I noticed the tail was longer than when I got her so I assumed its a boy. So I put it in with my males. Again i start hearing the "squeaks" an see my males trying to mount him/her! So im going to have to house him/her alone bc it trys to mate with my females and my males try to mate with it. Could I have a hermaphrodite? And no this was not males fighting. I have 2 males who cannot be housed together bc they'll fight to the death. Snapping and ramming like crazy. This was my males literally "excited" on top of him/her thrusting and squeaking trying to position him/her. That's not someth ive ever seen my alpha males do to another male tort. & both of them getting sexually excited by his/her presence? Idk this is strange!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My juvenile hermanns tortoise that I thought was a female now I'm not so sure.. I had it in with the females when i woke up to the "squeaks" it was trying to mount/mate with a female. So thats when I noticed the tail was longer than when I got her so I assumed its a boy. So I put it in with my males. Again i start hearing the "squeaks" an see my males trying to mount him/her! So im going to have to house him/her alone bc it trys to mate with my females and my males try to mate with it. Could I have a hermaphrodite? And no this was not males fighting. I have 2 males who cannot be housed together bc they'll fight to the death. Snapping and ramming like crazy. This was my males literally "excited" on top of him/her thrusting and squeaking trying to position him/her. That's not someth ive ever seen my alpha males do to another male tort. & both of them getting sexually excited by his/her presence? Idk this is strange!!
Females will sometimes mount other Torts too. It's a dominance thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any tortoise will mount any other tortoise to show dominance. This is different than "fighting". Females do it to males or females, and males do it to males and females.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
Any tortoise will mount any other tortoise to show dominance. This is different than "fighting". Females do it to males or females, and males do it to males and females.
I've had mine for years they've never done this to another male. Or id agree with you. I'm wondering if anyone else has a herm & how to tell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had mine for years they've never done this to another male. Or id agree with you. I'm wondering if anyone else has a herm & how to tell?
You are saying you don't agree with me? You don't think that males do this to each other, or that females do it too?

IMG_9926.JPG
I walked in to my platynota enclosure one day to feed them, and I heard the breeding noises. I walked over and found this. These are two proven females that regularly lay eggs and have produced dozens of babies. That is a third female behind them. There are two males in this enclosure too, but they weren't involved. I've had these stars since 2013, and I've only seen this twice. They are a peaceful species and generally get along very well. I've never seen the males do this to each other.

Any tortoise can do this to any other tortoise whenever they feel like it. The sex doesn't matter, and their history of doing it, or not doing it, doesn't matter.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
You are saying you don't agree with me? You don't think that males do this to each other, or that females do it too?

View attachment 340639
I walked in to my platynota enclosure one day to feed them, and I heard the breeding noises. I walked over and found this. These are two proven females that regularly lay eggs and have produced dozens of babies. That is a third female behind them. There are two males in this enclosure too, but they weren't involved. I've had these stars since 2013, and I've only seen this twice. They are a peaceful species and generally get along very well. I've never seen the males do this to each other.

Any tortoise can do this to any other tortoise whenever they feel like it. The sex doesn't matter, and their history of doing it, or not doing it, doesn't matter.
Never said males don't. I said mine have never. All tortoises are not the same. I have several an they all have different personalities an display different behaviors. I didn't come here to argue about anyth. I came here to ask how I could tell if its a hermaphrodite. If you dont know, it's fine. An i appreciate all the input

Meesh

BRUNSWICK

View attachment 340639

Those tortoises are gorgeous

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I had the large Manouria tortoises here (before Will took them to San Diego) I noticed the females getting frisky with each other. It was a sure sign one of them was about to dig a nest.