Can I feed my Sulcata Coccoloba Uvifera?

Tequila

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
I saw somewhere in this forum ( dont remember where) that we can feed Sea Grape to Sulcatas. I just want to know if sea grape is the same as Coccoloba Uvifera and I can feed my Sulcata the leaves of this tree.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I saw somewhere in this forum ( dont remember where) that we can feed Sea Grape to Sulcatas. I just want to know if sea grape is the same as Coccoloba Uvifera and I can feed my Sulcata the leaves of this tree.
Oops. Sorry only saw your thread now. And this is the extent of my reply. As I have no clue either. Did you look on the tortoise table?

Tequila

Puerto Rico
Oops. Sorry only saw your thread now. And this is the extent of my reply. As I have no clue either. Did you look on the tortoise table?
Hi Carol, I didnt find anything related to this plant. I’ll avoid it for now. My issue is that as a new owner I dont have anything but Hibiscus to feed my sulcata. Im growing many plants to feed him/her but it wont be available for a few months. Anyway thanks for replying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I found this online:

The plant can be used in a variety of ways. Sea grape wood is used to make furniture; bark extract can be used to tan leather; bark resin can be helpful for throat ailments; the roots have been used to treat dysentery; and the leaves have medicinal properties— in fact, a patent was filed in 2001 to use leaf extracts to control blood sugar levels in diabetics, and another in 2010 to use the leaves, along with citrus extracts, to treat kidney stones.

One home remedy for using sea grape leaves to control blood sugar is to simmer about 10 green leaves in a pot of water until the water turns purple. Remove the leaves, pour the liquid into a glass container and allow it to cool before refrigerating. The cooled liquid is said to be quite refreshing.

No matter how I phrase my Question to Google, all I can get are responses to the actual grape itself, not the leaves. But since regular grape leaves are edible, I would think the sea grape would be edible too. Maybe as part of a well rounded diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This plant doesn't occur anywhere near me so I have no experience with it.

Tequila

Puerto Rico
This plant is everywhere where I live but Since there is not information regarding feeding it to tortoises I wont be the “first one” to figure that out. Thank you so much guys for your help

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This plant is everywhere where I live but Since there is not information regarding feeding it to tortoises I wont be the “first one” to figure that out. Thank you so much guys for your help
Our pleasure. So sorry we were not much help with this plant. And I wouldn't want to be the first one either.