Can I feed my tortoise vitamins supplements

gkg2423

Location (City and/or State)
Ambala
I have a little Indian star. I am not able to keep it outside in sun and had been using full spectrum light for its enclosure, but someone told me that the bulb I am using so far may not be giving UV light and I must replace it with some UV bulb. so I ordered MVB online on amazon, it said it would take around 18 days to reach, till now I waited for it but day before yesterday was supposed to be delivery day but it seems it was not even shipped. I think the seller does import the bulbs from outside and that is the reason it was showing more than half month, whatever, now I feel I won't be getting that bulb and if I place order again with some other seller it may take another 15 days atleast. I searched for MVB here in my city locally and none of the pet shops has that.

Now what I want to ask is until I manage some UV bulb can I use some vitamin D supplements that can help my tort. for past 20-25 days he did not get any UV rays. If someone from India is using UV bulb please let me know where they bought the bulb.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise should be ok using the supplements until you can get the bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a little Indian star. I am not able to keep it outside in sun and had been using full spectrum light for its enclosure, but someone told me that the bulb I am using so far may not be giving UV light and I must replace it with some UV bulb. so I ordered MVB online on amazon, it said it would take around 18 days to reach, till now I waited for it but day before yesterday was supposed to be delivery day but it seems it was not even shipped. I think the seller does import the bulbs from outside and that is the reason it was showing more than half month, whatever, now I feel I won't be getting that bulb and if I place order again with some other seller it may take another 15 days atleast. I searched for MVB here in my city locally and none of the pet shops has that.

Now what I want to ask is until I manage some UV bulb can I use some vitamin D supplements that can help my tort. for past 20-25 days he did not get any UV rays. If someone from India is using UV bulb please let me know where they bought the bulb.
Be sure to only use a reptile calcium supplement with "D3" added. Only a tiny pinch two or three times a week.

A florescent HO UV tube will work much better for UV than a MVB. They sell a brand called Arcadia in Europe that works very well. Or we have the ZooMed ones here in the US that are good. Maybe you can find those over there.

gkg2423

Ambala
Fortunately I am able to keep his enclosure in sun for 7-8 hrs a day. winters are approaching here so its not too much hot. He spends most of his time in the shade, I just wonder if he is getting his daily dose of UV rays. And he mostly eats hibiscus leaves and flowers only. Is that a problem?