can i get alittle direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNiceGuy

5 Year Member
alright everyone, so im here seeking some guideance and help to really be able to start researching and getting my first tortoise.

alittle about me, im 20 goin on 21, have mutiple snakes and a lab who are my life. i was originally looking into getting a macaw but after i read up i dont feel it would be fair to the bird with the work schedual i work to really be able to provide for the bird so that has to wait until i settle down alittle more. now what brought me to tortoises was their long life span, intelligence and well ther hard shells lol. i kinda scared away from them and lizards for awhile because of the uv requirements but not that i have a res its actually not as hard as i thought, so wat is a good starting turtle?

i live in the south western part of pa where our winters are cold and our summers are hot, i am looking for a medium sized turtle, maby slightly smaller then a leapord? thats one of the only tortoises iv actually seen full grown to really have a good idea, since my tortoise would be kept inside probly 6 to 7 months out of the year im looking for one that would do good in a 6 mby 7x8x whatever would take for a two tier cage (i got a really really awesome idea for an enclosure under my bed lol)

so yeah help please! i really appriciate it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi MrNiceGuy:

(How fun!! We have a "Mean Guy" [Darren in Montana] and now a nice guy!!)

May we know your name?

A redfoot tortoise will do well in the house. Some of their vitamin D requirement comes from their diet, and other than heat, they don't require a heavy duty UV light. You can get by with a cheaper model light. Look up some of TerryO posts. She has some beautiful redfoot habitats both indoors and outside.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
let's hope meanguy and mrniceguy never meet up they may start fighting :)
I would go with a smaller tort one who will remain small. There are quite a few, russian, greeks, and hermanns come to mind.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi!

Are you wanting low UV requirement tortoises or are you comfortable enough for species on the higher end of UV needs? Hibernation or not? Ones whose diets are more straight herbivore or would an omnivore be okay? What kind of price are you thinking?

MrNiceGuy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi!

Are you wanting low UV requirement tortoises or are you comfortable enough for species on the higher end of UV needs? Hibernation or not? Ones whose diets are more straight herbivore or would an omnivore be okay? What kind of price are you thinking?

Sorry, my names cj lol, and in all honesty I tend not to let price matter when it comes to my animals. I look at it as I want to provide the best for them I don't let things like that sway me from animals if I can't afford the best I should wait till I can. Now with alittle guidance I'm sure I can handle anything on the uv spectrum. And yeah hibernation would be nice and herbivore or omnivore don't matter much I useally got both in the house.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would highly recommmend Burmese Stars. They are pretty pricey, but you said that is not an issue. They are critically endangered, and classified as extinct in the wild. I have only had mine for a short time, but they are awesome. I can't imagine a better tort to keep and breed. Just a suggestion.

MrNiceGuy

5 Year Member
Well while price is no option I dunno if I'm really ready to have an endangered tortoise quite yet lol.. nd don't know if ill ever get into breeding, IV read tortoises are like chips where u can't just have one but I have the addiction when it comes to snakes haha so I'm more or looking for a tortoise I can learn with and who will be able to weather my process of learning how to optimally care for them. I think ill wait till iv gotten my feet wet before I dive into endangered tortoises :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good idea, russians are hardy as well are box turtles.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I wonder about the Egyptian tortoises?
they stay really small(less than 6 inches) but I have no experience personally with them.I have met some and they are super cute.
Perhaps others with them would comment?

Red foots are good too-I have those and we have 7 months of Winter here so outside time is limited to 3-4 months. I know their UV requirement is less but they really still enjoy their real outside time-and do bask for short periods of time.

Other easier breeds are Russian, Hermanns, Greeks-fairly robust, and stay small. Can be hibernated too if you choose?

Good Luck-you have many options available

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a Russian or Hermann's would be great for you. Russian's have A LOT of personality in a small package and Hermanns get just a little bigger and are very attractive, but personable at the same time. I'm hoping to get some Hermann's for myself soon.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome to the forum. You will find everything you need here information wise...and probably your tort, too.

MrNiceGuy

5 Year Member
I really appreciate all the quick replys. The more I'm reading I'm actually liking either a redfoot or a Russian. While I like the hearty nature of hermanns I do like the size of the Russian and redfoot. While I don't have a problem with a smaller turtle, I would like something in the redfoot range which I believe get 10+ inches which is right around where I want I think, big enough to let roam the room and not worry about it slipping under my sofa or the dog mistakeing it for a chew toy haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.