Can I let my tortoise freely try any plants on the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljhsh

5 Year Member
once a week, I bring my baby hermann tortoise to outdoor and let him walk around.

I, of course, make sure no pesticide is used on the ground.

While he is walking around, I notice that he like to try certain plants (unknown to me), or sniffs around then he starts eats what he seems to find tasty.

Is it okay to let his instinct to choose what he eats?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most think that they will know what they can and can not eat. The plants that are listed as unedible is list as such, because they are known to be poisonous to humans and/or other domesticated animals, so is for the most part assumed that they should not be fed to tortoises. However, not really known 100%. So, if you see one that you know is on the do not feed list, pull it, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. However, it would be better and healthier if you could get him outside more then once a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Opinions vary on this, and so does everyone's individual situation.

I believe that most of the time, in a large outdoor area that is well planted, most tortoises will not eat things they shouldn't. However, there are exceptions to this. Many of us have seen them eat things we know are toxic, like oleander, for example. Some captive conditions can cause them to "override" their natural instincts some of the time.

It's your tortoise. It's up to you to make the evaluation of YOUR situation and decide if you want to take that gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.