can I take my Russian tortoise to overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmiri

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a question about taking my Russian tortoise with me to overseas. My company is gonna send me to Hong Kong for 2~3 yrs and I will come back to the States after that. I really want to take my tortoise with me since he is like my family. Is it impossible to take him? Only dogs, cats and birds are allowed to take on the flight? I am so worried cause I can't find the best solution.
Please give me some advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You probably would be able to "carry him on", but the quarantine for animals in foreign countries is prohibitive...months, maybe.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I'm afraid you can't carry him on, as your leaving the country. Russians are CITES 2 so you need an export permit to send him out of the country legally. I'm not sure how China is but someone there might need an import permit, especially if China is a CITES member.

Danny

Sardinecan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think it's possible to import a Russian tort to Hong Kong. Even if it is possible, there would be special import permits to be obtained and if there is quarantine, the tort would be very stressed out in quarantine. You are better off finding a family member to adopt him for a period you are away.

anmiri

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sardinecan said:
I don't think it's possible to import a Russian tort to Hong Kong. Even if it is possible, there would be special import permits to be obtained and if there is quarantine, the tort would be very stressed out in quarantine. You are better off finding a family member to adopt him for a period you are away.

THank a lot for your advice.
It seems like I can't take him on the flight. They only let dogs, cats, and birds be on board. :< Also I have to send a letter to get a permission from Hong Kong. well....
I am just so sad that I have to be ready to say goodbye to him....
Do you think I could find someone who could take care of him for 3 yrs and give him back to me? (that person might want to keep him as a pet....) anyways if this is the case, I just hope that I could find someone who would love to take care of him and give lots of love everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.