any military tortoise owners out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hey everyone, I was wondering if there were any military tort owners out there, Im asking because my fiance soon to be husband is in the navy and I dont know where we will be going, can be anywhere from California to Japan. So that being said, I wanted to see how other tort owners did it, and wondered if it is even possible for me to bring my torts with me if we had to go to Japan or somewhere like that. I was told its impossible to take them overseas but I need to hear what you guys have to say and what my best options are..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have first hand knowledge, but have heard that the authorities keeping the animal in quarantine at the destination takes such a long time that you worry about the health and well-being of your tortoise and its not worth it. Also, some countries have laws against importing turtles and tortoises.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Reptiles will be an issue when going to another country because some countries are very strict on importing reptiles. You may also have a problem with the airlines. The ones in the U.S. may allow you to bring them on the plane but once inside another country the next airline may refuse to allow your reptile. I had this happen to me coming from Germany to the U.S. I was lucky that we resolved the issue but I know its not always the case... Its a risk when taking any animal to another country, even dogs and cats because of quarantine that is required in certain places...

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
yeah that was my main worry, i figured it would be very stressful to the tortoise too moving around like that. now i am alittle unsure what to do, i dont know for sure if we will be going over seas but thats not something i want to have to put my girls through.. so what are your suggestions

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
My suggestion would be to try to find someone to foster them while you'd be overseas (if that's where you end up going). A vet who does torts may know of someone, or perhaps you'd have time to screen someone before you go.

I do foster care for pugs (mostly military pugs). The two I have now I've had while their owner is in Afghanistan. This is her 4th tour, so I've had them for well over half their lives! LOL, I have to keep reminding myself that they aren't mine :)

Just be sure to check vet references!!! I had one set of pugs who were left with someone who neglected them, it was a mess to say the least, so be very careful.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
thats a really good idea, because it would break my heart to have to give them up.. are the costs for foster care high

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Costs will vary, I wouldn't think it would be very high for torts tho. It's not like they need heartworm medicine, flea treatments, etc! If you supplied their enclosure, I'd think just a bit to cover food, bedding, etc., and maybe a little extra for time involved? Plus any vet expenses of course.

It's really whatever you and the foster mom/dad work out between you. All I asked from my fosters mom was that she pay all their vet expenses. She does that, plus sends me extra for my time/work (I guess). I've told her she doesn't need to do that, but she insists.

The first time we had them, she flew home with them from Germany, and this time she drove them to me in NC from Ft. Lewis Washington! She's a super mom. The first time we had them, they were just 2 years old, they turned 8 this summer.

At this point, she's friend, and the puggies are my grand-pugs, LOL

If there's a turtle/tortoise rescue in your area, I'd get up with them and see if they have any members that would be interested. Hopefully, the rescue would have "vetted" them before they let them foster or adopt, but I'd still ask for vet references anyway. You can't be too careful.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Or stay with the tortoises here and just visit him overseas, or wait til he comes home. :D :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We have several members here who are in the military, spikethebest and tortuga terreste comes to mind plus I have several member of my family in the military, and from what I know most military bases no longer allow animals on base of any kind. I would imagine an overseas military base would not allow them on either, but you could always ask around, wouldn't the military have some type of person who could answer those questions?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
We have several members here who are in the military, spikethebest and tortuga terreste comes to mind plus I have several member of my family in the military, and from what I know most military bases no longer allow animals on base of any kind. I would imagine an overseas military base would not allow them on either, but you could always ask around, wouldn't the military have some type of person who could answer those questions?

What a horribly sad life they must live to be denied the dimple pleasures of life.:(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
From what I understand it all boils down to insurance and liability, if someone else know why please chime in.
My cousin was real upset because he wanted a bull dog (marine mascot) and they wouldn't let him.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Certain breeds are prohibited on bases....the bully breeds, dobies, and I forget what others. No exotic animals are allowed, but others are ok. We're right outside of Ft. Bragg (my husband was career Army...and died on active duty), so I've dragged (not really dragged), trailered, flown animals all over! Horses, dogs, mice, cats, turtles, I've done'em all! I'm so glad we decided to live off post when we got here.

If you check with the post vet, they can tell you what's allowed and what's not. I'm always amazed to look at craigslist and see the people that get here, move on post and get a pit bull...and are surprised when they find out they can't have them.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i didnt even know animals weren't allowed on base, that really sucks what a boring life not to have any pets! and i will def get ahold of someone

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Luckily Im a reservist...but I have been called out for active duty. Its a pain in the butt trying to find someone to look after the torts.. Your going to have to sacrifice having pets for now...but atleast you get to travel.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
traveling is the cool thing about all of this, i just dont know what the best thing to do with my two girls is

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I can only imagine how you must feel, i could never leave my babies,

At work we are moving shops, and the reptiles are still at the old shop that is still open, I worried so much about them, that when i finished work i had to go see them..

If i go on holiday i hate leaving my torts at home with someone, i worry that they might flip and that the person looking after them will not notice, as this has happened on one occasion!

Good luck!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
yeah im just very worried about everything! and they're like my children i cant imagine not having them in my life

Status
Not open for further replies.