Types of owners?

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
I don't mean on here actually. I joined an owners group on fb..I've seen some pics of people's torts that made me cringe...and also made me sad.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I don't mean on here actually. I joined an owners group on fb..I've seen some pics of people's torts that made me cringe...and also made me sad.
The Facebook groups can be a little wild.

I won't name names, but the big sulcata group is especially awful. The mods are almost completely non-existent and a lot of bad info flies around that site. I think 3 out of 4 pictures make me sad. Debating the people on that group is a never ending battle and often feels like a lost cause.

On another group today someone posted a concern about a tortoise product. I corrected a misconception only to have my comment deleted by a mod that then turned off commenting on the thread. So now, everyone there will keep believing the nonsense that was being discussed.

There is a smaller one I'm fond of... but like I said, I'm not naming names. So good groups are out there.

Push comes to shove this site is the one I where I learned almost everything I know about tortoises.

Greta16

Western Maine
The Facebook groups can be a little wild.

I won't name names, but the big sulcata group is especially awful. The mods are almost completely non-existent and a lot of bad info flies around that site. I think 3 out of 4 pictures make me sad. Debating the people on that group is a never ending battle and often feels like a lost cause.

On another group today someone posted a concern about a tortoise product. I corrected a misconception only to have my comment deleted by a mod that then turned off commenting on the thread. So now, everyone there will keep believing the nonsense that was being discussed.

There is a smaller one I'm fond of... but like I said, I'm not naming names. So good groups are out there.

Push comes to shove this site is the one I where I learned almost everything I know about tortoises.
Yup, just from what I've learned on here I knkw what is wrong and a lot of wrong info gets spread around. I'll prob end up leaving the group.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
You do what you need to do for yourself.

Personally I choose to stay active there so I can do my part to help spread good information. Occasionally it stresses me out and I have to step away for a few days, but in general I would rather be proactive.

Even if you aren't comfortable debating, sometimes it's just good to have "likes" for when people do share good info or good set ups. It goes to show everyone that you aren't completely alone.

Greta16

Western Maine
You do what you need to do for yourself.

Personally I choose to stay active there so I can do my part to help spread good information. Occasionally it stresses me out and I have to step away for a few days, but in general I would rather be proactive.

Even if you aren't comfortable debating, sometimes it's just good to have "likes" for when people do share good info or good set ups. It goes to show everyone that you aren't completely alone.
You're probably right and not everyone is treating their tortoises wrong...