What is the best way to ship a Russian tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmiri

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I found the solution about my tortoise. Since I have to move overseas, my brother said that he could take care of my Russian tortoise. What is the best way to ship him from Washington D.C. to LA? Is it safe to ship him though DHL? or UPS is better?
Please give me some advice!
Thanks~~

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
Either one is fine :D I've shipped with them both and had no troubles. If you don't have an account, than it will be cheaper to ship with UPS than it will be to ship with DHL.

Danny

anmiri

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for your advice!
I just hope that my tortoise doesn't get any stress and find a good place to live till I come back to the States. :)

anmiri

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yeah. I checked that out already. Thanks for your help though ^^

TurtleSale

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i have used both UPS and Fed-Ex you have to make sure that they are shipped next day air as turtles are sensitve and may not do well with travel

TortGirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Last week I received a Greek tortoise shipped DHL from Danny. She is doing well.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If you have to ship it... now's not the best time.

I would prefer DHL and then FedEx. I'm not sure that UPS is even legal.

I would suggest... dropping the box late as possible... make sure it is next day mail before 10am... it should be fine.

Make sure the box is well insulated.

Ed

anmiri said:
I found the solution about my tortoise. Since I have to move overseas, my brother said that he could take care of my Russian tortoise. What is the best way to ship him from Washington D.C. to LA? Is it safe to ship him though DHL? or UPS is better?
Please give me some advice!
Thanks~~

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is legal to ship with UPS Ed, says so on their website. :D If you call them or DHL they will give you the run around and usually say they don't ship tortoises, so you have to quote the website.
I agree with Ed on how to ship now. :D

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I guess you're right again, Danny. I must be mistaken... what exactly does it say on their website that leads you to believe that they will ship live tortoises...?

From my experience... FedEX and DHL are the only carriers and even then you have to be a 'known carrier'.

Ed

egyptiandan said:
It is legal to ship with UPS Ed, says so on their website. :D If you call them or DHL they will give you the run around and usually say they don't ship tortoises, so you have to quote the website.
I agree with Ed on how to ship now. :D

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Here you go Ed :D http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/animals.html

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.