Can I walk my tortoise?

sassytorty

Hi, I'm just wondering would I ever be able to take my torty on a walk? Will she get stressed out? If she can, how old should she be?

TMartin510

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Take her somewhere safe to graze and watch as she wanders and enjoys it! Just make sure there's like nothing bad in the grass or anything that could be poisonous or dangerous! Or even in your yard! Mine loves to wander haha

sassytorty

Oh yes, we take her out on the yard and let her graze on the grass. She isn't brave enough to try any other plants she see's outside. She is really fast when she gets truckn'
Oh and don't take your eye off of her! They can be quicker then you would think :)

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Nice!! Mine book it too, and my Redfoot well he takes his time to look around lol. Yours is Sulcata right? I've heard that when they get older that some walk around with there family and follow them like how dogs do and come when there name is called haha, just keep up what your doin and she'll learn!

Gurty & Fred

I take my two to my local park only few houses away. Gurty loves it eats and sun's her self Fred smaller just wants to walk round. Always a concern is having them stolen from home if people no I have them though.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I take my two to my local park only few houses away. Gurty loves it eats and sun's her self Fred smaller just wants to walk round. Always a concern is having them stolen from home if people no I have them though.
True, same worry I have, so my enclosures have a door with a key to get in. It sucks to have to worry about that!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I've been considering taking Troggy to a local park to wander, but not until he's bigger. Right now, we hang out on my roof and his has a planted kiddie pool to eat weeds and sun himself in. By next summer, he'll have an outdoor enclosure in our back yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to consider - once a tortoise is shown that there is a big, wide, wonderful world outside the fence of his yard, he's never satisfied to stay within its confines again. He may keep trying to escape.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
One thing to consider - once a tortoise is shown that there is a big, wide, wonderful world outside the fence of his yard, he's never satisfied to stay within its confines again. He may keep trying to escape.

I've noted this on his roof enclosure. While he's perfectly happy in his indoor home and hasn't tried escaping or patrolling the borders, on the roof, he does, I think because I've let him out of the kiddie pool to explore the whole of the roof on occasion.