Need help with daily routine

Kaylahhampton1

Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hi everyone, I just got a tortoise today. He’s a Hermanns, and he’s a baby. I’m not sure how old he is. I am wondering about a daily routine, and all the need-to-knows that may not be widely known. I’m talking a step by step routine, if someone could help me with this, that’d be great. Also, can I have him walk around my carpet?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

There's a whole subforum for these little ones:

Come back and post your follow-up questions to this thread. You can post photos of your tort and its enclosure to get feedback about age, sex, and optimal set-up conditions.

Letting tortoises free-run the house is a recipe for accidents, or even disaster. Torts are grazers and they will pick up and try to eat many things, including non-foods.

The floor is much colder and drier than a tort needs (especially a baby).

Carpet fibers have been known to wrap around toes/legs and cause injury.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, I just got a tortoise today. He’s a Hermanns, and he’s a baby. I’m not sure how old he is. I am wondering about a daily routine, and all the need-to-knows that may not be widely known. I’m talking a step by step routine, if someone could help me with this, that’d be great. Also, can I have him walk around my carpet?
Hello and welcome.

For a baby, the daily routine should be to put out fresh food, clean the water dish and put in fresh water, soak the baby for 30-40 minutes every day until it passes 100 grams, and inspect your lighting and temperatures to make sure everything is right. I do the food, water, and inspection while the baby is soaking.

Read these for more info. Care for Hermanni is the same as Russians.

I hope you have some questions after reading these. :)

Kaylahhampton1

Peoria, Arizona
This is what I have going right now...

After reading the care sheets, I am feeling information overload. Haha. I ended up turning off the heating pad. But let me know if you have any other suggestions. I also bought a different hiding spot, he can't fit into the one that came with the tank. Here's a better pic of him. I think he gets confused with the glass and the fake background.. seems like he's always trying to break through it. I am learning now that I should have not relied on PetsMart for advice. Be kind... I'm trying to learn.. ? I have the basking area at 100 F and the cooler area is 80 F. Every morning, I've been feeding him collard greens and/or kale with occasional carrots. I got a calcium powder and plan to use that a few times a week. I turn off all his lights after 12 hours. I mist him pretty often throughout the day. Also, the tank is 40 gallons.
IMG_3591 2.jpg

Last edited: