Help with a couple things

SailingTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan, U.S
Hello, I recently got a rescue Hermanns Tortoise named Ralph, but I’m not sure that he’s entirely healthy. He’s about four years old and I don’t know if he’s a good size or not. He’s about 6-7 inches in diameter. I know he’s pyramiding a little bit, but he’s getting a lot of fresh food and a calcium supplement to help with it. He has a UV light and a heat lamp as well in his enclosure. I built the enclosure myself and it has a hiding place and a ramp for him to climb on. There’s a big water dish that he can climb into and soak in. When I got him, his beak was really long so I filed it down a little bit each day so it’s easier for him to eat. I was just wondering if he looks healthy and if there’s anything else I can do for him. I just fear that he’s an unhealthy size, how big should he get? Thanks. IMG_0052.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_1530737190.079712.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hello, I recently got a rescue Hermanns Tortoise named Ralph, but I’m not sure that he’s entirely healthy. He’s about four years old and I don’t know if he’s a good size or not. He’s about 6-7 inches in diameter. I know he’s pyramiding a little bit, but he’s getting a lot of fresh food and a calcium supplement to help with it. He has a UV light and a heat lamp as well in his enclosure. I built the enclosure myself and it has a hiding place and a ramp for him to climb on. There’s a big water dish that he can climb into and soak in. When I got him, his beak was really long so I filed it down a little bit each day so it’s easier for him to eat. I was just wondering if he looks healthy and if there’s anything else I can do for him. I just fear that he’s an unhealthy size, how big should he get? Thanks. View attachment 244026View attachment 244027View attachment 244028

Welcome to the forum!
Pyramiding is not at all caused by Diet. It is caused solely by lack of humidity. However, since your tortoise appears to be full grown, there is nothing you can do about it.

Your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

Russian Care is relatively the same as Hermanns, so please give these a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/