Unsettled tortoise

Jodiellm

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
I’ve had billi for 3 months (he’s two) now at first he was shy and ate little but after a week or so he began to eat lots and didn’t seem to frightend by our voices and movements but two days ago my Mam went to check on him and his water bowl was full of soil and he was full of dirt I washed him and thought nothing of it but today he’s extremely unsettled constantly clawing at the walls and climbing on his hide just to jump off it I’ve made it so he can’t climb on his hide anymore as I was worried he would hurt himself but now he just seems more upset. His table is 43x24x9in and he is very small. I let him run around my bedroom a few times a week so I tries that earlier but he just went into the corners and walls and tried to claw and climb them. Any ideas why he’s doing this and what I can do to help would be very appreciated thanks

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
The problem is that his enclosure is too small, and that you let him roam your floor. Now he knows that there’s a world beyond his enclosure, and he’s going to stop at nothing to get to it.
Give these links a read and come back with questions :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Your tort needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Could we see pictures of your tortoise and enclosure?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Jodie, welcome to the Forum. It might be useful to upload a few pix of your current enclosure so ppl here can see your setup. There must be some reason why he’s acting up all of a sudden. Too hot, cold, etc.

Welcome and keep on Posting.

Jodiellm

Wales
IMG_1520791451.395893.jpgIMG_1520791484.899386.jpg
The temperature down the warm end is about 37 and the cold about 25 (Celsius)

Greta16

Western Maine
He needs a bigger home. Also, you need to change out the substrate. That looks like the Pets at home stuff with the white bits. That encourages them to eat it. They do need places to climb, safe places, where they can't flip themselves. Having him out roaming is a bad idea, as TechnoCheese said. No heat, no uvb, he may eat something you haven't seen. It's dangerous.