Can my russian tortoise eat this?

_cara_law_

Location (City and/or State)
Great Britain
Hi, I am new to this but have been a tortoise owner for 2 years. I was wondering if I could feed Jeremy, my tortoise, the komodo holistic tortoise diet once a week or so? Weeds and plants haven’t grown so he is stuck with lambs lettuce, radicchio, frisée, carrot and a little cucumber at the moment. I am growing plants right now but they haven’t grown enough to be fed to him :) View attachment 234804

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe that is the same as our mazuri here in the US? Your link didn't work for me.
If it's a tortoise food then yes you can. Also store bought mustard, collard and turnip greens, ridicchio, dandelion, kale

_cara_law_

Great Britain
I believe that is the same as our mazuri here in the US? Your link didn't work for me.
If it's a tortoise food then yes you can. Also store bought mustard, collard and turnip greens, ridicchio, dandelion, kale

I am not entirely sure its the same. Komodo is a brand that sells food for different animals, housing, decorations, etc... I do use the komodo substrate for Jeremy, I add water to it to make it damp though, because I heard that is best. I am going to buy coco coir for the next clean, you get more for your money. Anyway the food, it is a tortoise diet but when I was doing research three years ago it would say stay away from all pellets. That is definitely not true anymore, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not entirely sure its the same. Komodo is a brand that sells food for different animals, housing, decorations, etc... I do use the komodo substrate for Jeremy, I add water to it to make it damp though, because I heard that is best. I am going to buy coco coir for the next clean, you get more for your money. Anyway the food, it is a tortoise diet but when I was doing research three years ago it would say stay away from all pellets. That is definitely not true anymore, right?
Right, it's not true any more. Just make it a small part of its diet not the biggest part of the diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyway the food, it is a tortoise diet but when I was doing research three years ago it would say stay away from all pellets. That is definitely not true anymore, right?

Its never been true. Its just someone's opinion. And in the cases I've seen the opinion against prepared foods is usually formed by someone who doesn't and hasn't used them and knows nothing about them or what results they would offer. In some cases the people speaking out against prepared foods are using primarily grocery store greens, which ironically, is the type of diet that needs the prepared foods for balance the most. I used to be of this mind set. I was ignorant.

Some prepared foods are a good way to supplement an otherwise more "natural" diet of weeds, leaves, grasses, flowers and succulents.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
Its never been true. Its just someone's opinion. And in the cases I've seen the opinion against prepared foods is usually formed by someone who doesn't and hasn't used them and knows nothing about them or what results they would offer. In some cases the people speaking out against prepared foods are using primarily grocery store greens, which ironically, is the type of diet that needs the prepared foods for balance the most. I used to be of this mind set. I was ignorant.

Some prepared foods are a good way to supplement an otherwise more "natural" diet of weeds, leaves, grasses, flowers and succulents.

That's why I was questioning it, as it was three years ago that I did my research and two years ago I got Jeremy. Would it be worth a try once a week then? I would still give him the shop bought lettuces and greens the rest of the week until weeds start to grow. About to buy more dried weeds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know which food you've got there, but if its a good one, then using it once or twice a week will be good for your tortoise.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
I don't know which food you've got there, but if its a good one, then using it once or twice a week will be good for your tortoise.

I bought it. I tried a few pellets with him to see if he would actually eat it and he loves it. I am not giving him a lot today as he already ate but I will give it to him tomorrow. It does say to feed a small amount once in the morning and once at night, should I do this? He normally just eats every morning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought it. I tried a few pellets with him to see if he would actually eat it and he loves it. I am not giving him a lot today as he already ate but I will give it to him tomorrow. It does say to feed a small amount once in the morning and once at night, should I do this? He normally just eats every morning.
What is it?

I usually offer this type of food once or twice a week, and feed them "real" food the rest of the time. I feed my tortoises once a day, but I use a pile big enough to last them the whole day.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
What is it?

I usually offer this type of food once or twice a week, and feed them "real" food the rest of the time. I feed my tortoises once a day, but I use a pile big enough to last them the whole day.

Its the Komodo Complete Holistic Diet in dandelion flavour

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is completely out of topic but what size of table do you recommend for a four year old russian?
They grow at vastly different rates, so age is not much of an indicator. Once they reach about 4", they need about 4x8' as a minimum. A larger table would be even better.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
They grow at vastly different rates, so age is not much of an indicator. Once they reach about 4", they need about 4x8' as a minimum. A larger table would be even better.

He is almost 4 years, in a 3 ft by 1.7 ft enclosure. He is only 3 inches. I am upgrading at some point though

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is almost 4 years, in a 3 ft by 1.7 ft enclosure. He is only 3 inches. I am upgrading at some point though
I think its ok to start a small hatchling in something that size, but your baby is definitely due for something bigger. Tortoises need a lot of space to move around in their enclosures, and russians especially so.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
I think its ok to start a small hatchling in something that size, but your baby is definitely due for something bigger. Tortoises need a lot of space to move around in their enclosures, and russians especially so.

I think someone said to me that its the same as a 40 gallon, we don’t use gallons though. I will be upgrading to a 6ft by 3ft. I am probably going to buy a second hand bookshelf, put plywood at the bottom and modify it. Also, do you think he will be alright until late August in that table?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think someone said to me that its the same as a 40 gallon, we don’t use gallons though. I will be upgrading to a 6ft by 3ft. I am probably going to buy a second hand bookshelf, put plywood at the bottom and modify it. Also, do you think he will be alright until late August in that table?

They won't just drop dead because their enclosure is too small. It can drive them nuts though, and it can hamper digestion because they need locomotion to keep things moving through the gut, much like a horse does. Just get him into something bigger as soon as you can.

Have you read these? Much more info here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

_cara_law_

Great Britain
They won't just drop dead because their enclosure is too small. It can drive them nuts though, and it can hamper digestion because they need locomotion to keep things moving through the gut, much like a horse does. Just get him into something bigger as soon as you can.

Have you read these? Much more info here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Thanks for that. I can upgrade around August time, and in the summer I do take him outside in his play pen so he does have room to run, explore and eat weeds. I know you said you keep your torts outside but I when I upgrade his table, would his basking light go in the middle or a corner? Right now its in a corner but the light and warmth does spread.View attachment 234954 Thats him in the enclosure, it obviously has cut off slightly so it is bigger, but isn’t big enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for that. I can upgrade around August time, and in the summer I do take him outside in his play pen so he does have room to run, explore and eat weeds. I know you said you keep your torts outside but I when I upgrade his table, would his basking light go in the middle or a corner? Right now its in a corner but the light and warmth does spread.Thats him in the enclosure, it obviously has cut off slightly so it is bigger, but isn’t big enough.

Your pic didn't attach…

Basking bulbs go over to one side to create a thermal gradient. This way they can more to the warm side or cool side as needed. If room temp is too cold, you may want to add some additional day time heat. A CHE over the middle will work nicely for this purpose.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
Your pic didn't attach…

Basking bulbs go over to one side to create a thermal gradient. This way they can more to the warm side or cool side as needed. If room temp is too cold, you may want to add some additional day time heat. A CHE over the middle will work nicely for this purpose.

IMG_3201.jpg I don’t know if this actually worked, I tried something else