Can my russians eat Butter Lettuce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Can my russians eat butter lettuce? My local super market has rooted butter lettuce heads and if they can eat it I will buy some and plant a few in their outdoor enclosure for the summer.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'd say sure…as long as you can remove the soil from the planters they come in, and keep the tortoises from eating it while any topical fertilizers/pesticides are washed off of it. As part of a varied diet of weeds and such.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I will definitely wash it before I plant it, but it comes in a plastic container with its roots in some water, no soils at all, I believe its for hydroponic grows.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
some stores have other varietys as well. Im not sure how well they transplant tho.. see if they have a redleaf too

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
I gave one to my russian and planted it in her enclosure. It lasted for 3 days and stayed crisp and green the whole time. I'm not sure how nutrient levels compare to iceberg vs romaine but it seems more like romaine than iceberg as far as tastes and texture goes. I wouldn't use it as a main bulk of the diet but i think its good variety, enrichment when they can't graze outdoors, and would be great if you had to go away for a day or two.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Oh I have seen those, we have them in the organic section of our store. I wondered if they would/could eat it as well I just always forget to check. Thanks for the info!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
You can offer it, that's fine. It's still the same species (Lactuca sativa). However, don't be surprised if your Russian doesn't want it. I gave it to my guys, and they didn't seem to like it very much. Perhaps your experience will be different. Anyway, it's perfectly safe, if not as yummy as romaine, green leaf, or red leaf lettuce. :)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I am building their outdoor enclosure, and I am going to plant a few in there then. If they eat it cool, if not then they have another plant to hide under/around.
Thanks for all the input.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My Russian Ophelia will eat it. I normally mix it with red leaf, green leaf, and romaine along with her Mazuri.

Status
Not open for further replies.