Can Russians live in the same enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
I am just wondering if it is ok for me to have my two Russians in the same enclosure? I have read that they can be aggressive. Mine supposedly came from the same batch but one is smaller than the other and i am worried that maybe the larger of the two (Oliver) could be mean to the smaller (Winnie)...

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
I would think if they have already been together--- you should just keep an eye out for any aggressive behavior. Be sure there is no competition for food or hide space and that the smaller one isn't being chased. If there is--then separate or section off the enclosure[if it is still big enough on each side for each of them.

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Yes, it is big enough for awhile... I just built them a 3x3 enclosure. Thanks, I will watch for those things. They were together at the pet store before I bought them. I have had Winnie for six days and Oliver for four days. Neither one of them are hardly eating yet though so its hard to tell if one is being aggressive in that way...

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
BTW, russian tortoises are more aggressive than other tort species, and one sign of aggression is if one tortoise leaves it makes the other tortoise chase them biting at their feet. This is not playing!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I doubt they are related. Petstore Russians are almost always wild caught.

Just make sure they each have their own hides, and you can use sight barriers to help defray aggression as well. My four live together and as of yet there has been no aggression at all.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
i keep all my seven russians together in a 16x4 enclosure. they all do fine. just as everyone here has mentioned, as long as there is alot of barriers in the enclosure to keep them occupied they should be just fine. are you keeping them inside or out?

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
I am keeping them inside; unfortunately I do not have a yard at this time and I live in ND so they wouldn't be able to be out for the whole year. I built them a 3x3 enclosure for now until they get bigger. I have two hides in there right now. Should I put more?

Thanks for the help everyone... I am very new and a paranoid mama!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In all honesty it is basically a "crap shoot", only time will tell if they can get along or not, I do know that lots of room and hides will help keep agression down.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You need at least 6 hides in my honest opinion--one for each tort in each of three temp zones (one cool, one medium, one warm right next to the basking spot). Hides can be anything from fake plants to a pile of substrate/timothy hay, to a box or container. Fake plants are great as they don't take up much floor space. I duct tape them to the side or the bottom. My tort prefers plants and a hay pile to any type of box/container.

Oh, and if these are two adult size Russians (over 4 inches), which I am assuming, then 9 sq ft shouldn't be for long. I have that for one 4 inch tort and am planning to upgrade this year. I know its probably more than they are used to, but I wouldn't put off the upgrade long at all, and I would want to at least double that.

Status
Not open for further replies.