Help determining sex?

David G.

Location (City and/or State)
Townsend, Georgia
Still a bit small to tell for sure I think, but can anyone make an educated guess? Growth has been tremendously slow with 98% grass diet. This is my first sulcata, hatched in October 2019.

Introduced some mazuri tortoise pellets over the winter and have seen a huge growth spurt, so I'll come back later if it's too soon to tell.

Attachments

• PXL_20240502_212026512~2.jpg
    PXL_20240502_212026512~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I'm a little out of the norm regarding feeding babies. I don't follow the rules. I chop up enough food to last three feedings, and it consists of:

endive
escarole
raddichio
turnip greens
mustard greens
kale
grated zucchini
grated carrot
mulberry tree leaves (or grape leaves)
any edible weeds I can find
re hydrated Zoo Med Tortoise Diet (or Mazuri)
sometimes grated cucumber

I chop this up into bite-sized pieces and mix in several different dried foods from Kapidolo Farms, along with a scoop of animal vitamin powder.

I've been raising smooth shelled tortoises on this diet for several years, all with good growth and size.

Leonard - Leopard hatched here

Leonard 12-22-18 a.jpg

Leonard, Chasen and Zipper:

Leonard, Zipper, Chasen 11-15-19.jpg

CDT babies:

cdt babies 6-3-23.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My guess is it's a male. Females usually have a more rounded anal scute.
Could still be to young. A better shot of the tail size might help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Still a bit small to tell for sure I think, but can anyone make an educated guess? Growth has been tremendously slow with 98% grass diet. This is my first sulcata, hatched in October 2019.

Introduced some mazuri tortoise pellets over the winter and have seen a huge growth spurt, so I'll come back later if it's too soon to tell.
It is not showing any secondary sexual characteristics yet. The anal scutes are the neutral shape of all juveniles. If we cold see the tail, there might be a hint there. Males have large tails and females have tiny nubs.

David G.

Townsend, Georgia
So the sulcata tends to keep it curled up out of view. I waited with my camera for few hours outside, gave it a soak to encourage it drop stools and hopefully the expose the tail.

Unfortunately these were the best shots I could get.

The tail actually seems fairly wide at the base and long enough to see the tip from directly overhead. Hard to make out in the second and third image, but I tried. Lol

The plastron does seem concave as well.

1000029038.jpg1000028976.jpg1000028978.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So the sulcata tends to keep it curled up out of view. I waited with my camera for few hours outside, gave it a soak to encourage it drop stools and hopefully the expose the tail.

Unfortunately these were the best shots I could get.

The tail actually seems fairly wide at the base and long enough to see the tip from directly overhead. Hard to make out in the second and third image, but I tried. Lol

The plastron does seem concave as well.

View attachment 370079View attachment 370080View attachment 370081
Here is an example of what we are looking for:

Male:
Male Sulcata.jpg

Female:
Female Sulcata.jpg

Here is a juvenile that looks much like yours. There is no indication which way it is going to go yet:
Juvenile Sulcata.jpg

David G.

Townsend, Georgia
I'll do my best to get a better shot, I used to see the tail all the time, but now that I'm looking for it- I only get a glimpse before my camera is ready. Lol

I've read that males will often hang their tail to the side, just as the male you've pictured in the top image. This certainly looks to be what mine does and why it's difficult to get a clear shot. Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll do my best to get a better shot, I used to see the tail all the time, but now that I'm looking for it- I only get a glimpse before my camera is ready. Lol

I've read that males will often hang their tail to the side, just as the male you've pictured in the top image. This certainly looks to be what mine does and why it's difficult to get a clear shot. Lol
Can you see the little tiny nub of a tail sticking past the cloaca on the "female" picture"? If your tortoise already has an inch or more of tail sticking out past the cloacal opening, then it is probably a male. Tail size and cloacal opening position in relation to the tail is the first early indicator of sex in tortoises. The other characteristics like anal scute shape, plastron concavity, and gular scute enlargement in males does not happen until they are larger and more mature.

David G.

Townsend, Georgia
Can you see the little tiny nub of a tail sticking past the cloaca on the "female" picture"? If your tortoise already has an inch or more of tail sticking out past the cloacal opening, then it is probably a male. Tail size and cloacal opening position in relation to the tail is the first early indicator of sex in tortoises. The other characteristics like anal scute shape, plastron concavity, and gular scute enlargement in males does not happen until they are larger and more mature.
I would say it's right around an inch past it. Still can't capture it exposed on camera, but I suppose we shall see soon enough. Growing like a weed now with the new diet.

Starting to build a new outdoor enclosure for it right after I finish building our giant aviary.

Attaching a video of my latest attempt to catch the tail on camera. Seems to be a futile effort for now. 😂

Edit: apparently video did not attach. 🤷