Can Russians live with Hermann's????

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
So my roommate and I are going to get some tortoises (obviously we are going to try to use the same enclosure). He has his heart set on a Hermann. But I'm more set on a Russian. Will they be able to coexist together?? We will be buying them as captive born babies.

I did notice that both have similar habit needs so I don't really see why not, unless temperaments don't mesh together...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am guessing you will be using a indoor enclosure. for the most part russians are very territorial, I would avoid the issue completely and keep them separate.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I am guessing you will be using a indoor enclosure. for the most part russians are very territorial, I would avoid the issue completely and keep them separate.

i totally agree

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I wouldnt mix them together. Both of them do have the same care though. If you want only one enclosure then you both are going to have to agree on a species. Both of those species are very great picks as first tortoises as well. Whichever species you guys agree on I guarantee you guys will not regret it.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Don't do it, mate. The Hermann and the Russian are sister species, and are known to hybridize in captivity. And if they are both male, then they are likely to fight unless their enclosure is very, very large.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sister? ewwww gross.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
LOL ... "sister species" are just two species that are more closely related to each other than to any other species in their genus. Many sister species pairs are capable of hybridizing. Redfoots and yellowfoots are sister species, as are Indian and Burmese star tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.