Can they hangout

Mosin

Location (City and/or State)
Us
So I just want to know one of my friends wants to come over I have I think around six year old Russian tortoise and my friend has a five month old Herman’s tortoise and we were wondering if they could hang out for a couple hours when my friend comes over is this safe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. Don't mix species. Beside that, your tortoise will be stressed to have another tortoise plunked down in his territory.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Great question!

Couple of things:

1) Tortoises are not social, and are very territorial...the Resident tortoise will be stressed out by having another animal on its territory. The Visitor tortoise will be stressed out from being taken away from its home. (This goes for tortoises of the same species.)

2) Tortoises in captivity frequently overgrown their symbiotic bacterial cultures. Their individual immune systems are able to manage the populations in their digestive organs, on their skin, etc.. But being exposed to another animal can cause an imbalanced exposure and the stress can cause the immune system to not keep things in balance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I just want to know one of my friends wants to come over I have I think around six year old Russian tortoise and my friend has a five month old Herman’s tortoise and we were wondering if they could hang out for a couple hours when my friend comes over is this safe
Just to be clear: NO. This should never happen. Species should never be mixed. They can transfer diseases back and forth, and while aggression is likely, stress is a guarantee. Tortoises don't see other tortoise as friends, playmates or companions. Other tortoises are seen as intruders or attackers to run from.