can turtle shells be trimmed?

mao

Location (City and/or State)
london, Uk
Hi my turtle has a spike like growth in her shell above the neck area that causes her to bleed at times. Its kind of yellowish and I don't think should be there. Can this be trimmed or cut?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi my turtle has a spike like growth in her shell above the neck area that causes her to bleed at times. Its kind of yellowish and I don't think should be there. Can this be trimmed or cut?
Could he/ she be just scratching an itchy spot with a normal part of the shell. Is it possibly mites? What kind of turtle? Sometimes they have little projections on their shell for a purpose.

mao

london, Uk
Hi and thanks everyone for the replies. She is a yellow belly terrapin. I checked on line and cannot find pictures of any other terrapin with that kind of protuberance in that area specifically. I will post a picture later this evening. The colour and the texture seem to be different from the actual shell. What curios me beside I cannot find any other references to it on line is that it literally poke her neck every time she look up. I am sure it is not as nature intended. Will post picture and wait for response before deciding if to bring her to a vet

mao

london, Uk
Hi everyone see picture attached. What do you think Vet or I am simply paranoid??

turtle.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I can see where that might be a problem. If it continues to make the turtle bleed, I would ask a vet to file it down for you.