Can you help me identify this tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HrdHeaded1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Howdy..
I just got done introducing myself to the forum. The long story cut short is Bill was saved from the middle of the road yesterday. He is now living in our garage in a kiddie pool until we can learn what type of enclosure he really needs.
He's a sweet lil guy. (I belive he is a male. The scutes are wider forming a wider V so to speak)

Can you tell me what type of tort he is? I think he is a african spurred tort?

Attachments

• Bill.jpg
    Bill.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Bill1.jpg
    Bill1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Bill2.jpg
    Bill2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 54

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
It's a Gopherus species, probably desert tortoise. Where do you live and where did you find it? That will help determine what your next steps should be.

HrdHeaded1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michael,
We live in WA state. It's rather rainy here year round. I don't think he is native at all.

Thanks,
Jennifer

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yup looks more Desert Tort than Sulcata. Someone is definitely missing their pet, have you posted flyers or found ads for him?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Jennifer,
It is a Desert tortoise. :D He's definately not native to WA state, but is native to the southwest.

Danny

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
She's an escape artist, too. I suspect that the kiddie pool isn't going to keep her contained. A desert tortoise of that size and age will need some space. Most owners have an enclosed, predator-proof and escape-proof backyard for their tortoises.

HrdHeaded1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
chelonologist said:
She's an escape artist, too. I suspect that the kiddie pool isn't going to keep her contained. A desert tortoise of that size and age will need some space. Most owners have an enclosed, predator-proof and escape-proof backyard for their tortoises.

Thanks! Well we are in the process of building a cinder block area out back for her or him to stay in while we are looking to see if anyone has lost a tort. I understand they dig? Our back yard area is fully fenced as well so if "Bill" makes it past the cinder blocks there is a back up. Someone is usually home during the day so they can check on him/her.

Q: Should Bill be brought in at night? It gets down in the 50's here.

THanks again,
Jen

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Jen,

Which part of WA are you located? I will check with STTC members if any one lost their tortoise.

You should keep it indoor during the night, cause the humidity and cold may cause serious problem.

Scott

HrdHeaded1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Scott.
I already have called them and no one so far has reported a missing tort. I gave them my name and contact number just in case. I also called animal shelter here and they did have a report of a missing tort. Called them and left a message, still waiting to see if they call back and can tell me what type of tort. they are missing. So for the time being it looks like Bill will be staying here for a bit.

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.