Can't find large tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanmachine

5 Year Member
I have a russian tortoise, pictures of him and his enclosure are here: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-16606.html

I have gone to lowes, home depot, the container store, walmart, and target, but still cannot find a bigger tub (preferably about 4 by 2 ft). Any suggestions as to where I can find a tub like the one I have, but bigger and not transparent?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Often they only have the really big ones around Christmas time for fake Christmas tree storage.

You might find something you like by checking some local feed stores for horse watering troughs. They'll cost more than the tubs, but also be much more durable and long lasting.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I use the troughs for the NA Woods and Blanding's. The one's I use are 72" X 30", and run about $100. Personally I prefer them over the tubs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that the Christmas tree storage bin is only $40

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Check for stock tanks like for horses. Some come in black plastic and others are metal. I've heard you can ask a feed store to order something from their supplier and then save on shipping vs. ordering it online. We have an 8 sq ft enclosure for our 2 yr old Russian and I'm looking to go to 16 sq ft so it'll be big enough for his adult size hopefully (I say he but we're 95% sure he is a she, so likely getting big although only 4 inches now!). Building a tort table is a really good way to go to. Or, attach a couple smaller containers by cutting off the sides or building a tunnel. Tall is perfectly fine if the enclosure is 8 + sq ft like we're talking about. Really good actually because it stays warmer but still has air flow, and also allows for a nice deep substrate and no chance of escape. My tort table has 18 inch high sides and even if its 56 outside and we have the windows open, the house stays like 58 right by the window and my tort's enclosure stays 62 (probably warmer buried under the substrate too). Pretty cool.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Home Depot or Lowes should carry the large size cement mixing tubs. The only drawback is that the ends are rounded, which cuts down a little on the inside dimensions, but I have used them with great success as both tortoise enclosures and ponds for aquatic turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.