Can't make pancakes without eggs

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This second one to hatch was treated a bit differently. I put in a small container away from the other eggs, still in the incubator, and then heavily sprayed it with incubator temperature water. It fully emerged in one day. The first one I left to its own, and it took more than two days to emerge.

That first one has discovered to joy of eating and soaking, and get around its little enclosure real well. Today or tomorrow I'll put #2 in a small enclosure. Both had/have near zero external yolk.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This second one to hatch was treated a bit differently. I put in a small container away from the other eggs, still in the incubator, and then heavily sprayed it with incubator temperature water. It fully emerged in one day. The first one I left to its own, and it took more than two days to emerge.

That first one has discovered to joy of eating and soaking, and get around its little enclosure real well. Today or tomorrow I'll put #2 in a small enclosure. Both had/have near zero external yolk.
Very interesting. I may have to try that. Have one about halfway through right now developing. I need to dig up the others and move them into the incubator. So water temperature was 88+-? What brought that idea out if you don't mind me asking?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Very interesting. I may have to try that. Have one about halfway through right now developing. I need to dig up the others and move them into the incubator. So water temperature was 88+-? What brought that idea out if you don't mind me asking?
I'm incubating with an RH of 65 to 72. The substrate is not prewetted at all, so the during-incubation RH is THE moisture. I was concerned they may get too much substrate stuck on them as they hatch, that first one had substrate sorta glued to it. I do spray about once a week, but that spray does not come into contact with the eggs directly. The RH source is an open tub of water in the incubator.

It seemd like once the neonate pips, and has its nostrils exposed for actual breathing, that sparyed water would not be a problem. I had water in the incubator for the RH, so just used it to spray. I didn't want to give the little tortoises a temperature shock.

What I find interesting is the second to pip/hatch was not the next egg in age, but an egg older than the first to pip/hatch. It's been too long since I had an incubator full of eggs to look into, it's so much a driver for doing well with the captives. Everyday begin with excitment, "what's happeneing in the incubator?" I really like that.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sounds perfect. Good display of a "spring" for these pippers. Lots of eggs is exciting for sure. Success is well deserved.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
2014-10-06 09.16.21.jpg 2014-10-06 09.16.54.jpg 2014-10-06 09.17.02.jpg 2014-10-06 09.16.21.jpg 2014-10-06 09.16.54.jpg 2014-10-06 09.17.02.jpg
This is the basic neonate set up with the lid off, the lid covers 3/4 on the top, where it is open a T5 HO tube is about 6 inches away. They can go to the far end to escape the light. Little half cups are removed for the photo, but offer additional secretness. One has aberrant scutes, the other has more normal configuration. Some of the rest of the eggs look not so good, other I expect to hatch.

Last edited by a moderator: