Can't Open Eyes - Baby! HELP!

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi, my poor little guy has something wrong with his eyes. I'm really worried. Yesterday he kept blinking them like crazy and now today he can't keep them open. They aren't swollen but it looks like the coco coir has gotten in them.

What shoudl I do? Has anyone experienced this?? I'm so worried.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
what kind of bulbs are you using coil type UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye problems in torts

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I switched his light to a tube light a week ago and his eyes were fine then. Its more one eye than the other. He also seems lethargic yet yesterday he ate a lot and seemed fine except for the blinking.

It was a coil UVB before that.

I've noticed he also was rubbing his eyes the last few days

I cleaned his eyes with contact lenses cleaner, just the saline solution and he cleaned his eyes in his bath. He has them open now but they do look swollen and almost like there is a 3rd eye lid or maybe just the corner is swollen? arugh I'm so worried. He is only 3 months old

His basking spot is 34 degrees celcius. Should it be higher? I was told 40 was too high but I keep getting conflicting answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
here he is.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 71

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I have now cleaned out his entire cage and am putting in fresh coco coir. Maybe it is a humidity thing? It is almost like his eyes are just really sore. I give him a bath every day without fail.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm sure it was the coil bulb. They have caused blindness in some tortoises. I had a yearling Sulcata that was blinded by one. For a few days I would use a regular incandescent light bulb. Get some eye ointment and put that in 2 or 3 times a day.
I like Terramycin eye ointment but it's getting hard to find. I read that Tyler in Las Vegas still has some that he sells. Look in our vendor section for his business address, I don't have time now. But I would use the ointment and allow his eyes to rest for a few days. Don't use the tube bulb either, just a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb let his eyes rest and they will heal.
You might try TortoiseSupply.com to reach him. He has a good reputation, quick shipping and last I heard he had Terramycin eye ointment. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thank you so much. I turned off the tube light and only have the heat lamp on now. I will order some eye cream. :( I feel so bad for my Ormond. At least he is still eating, thank god. such a worry!

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I emailed Tyler at TortoiseSupply.com so hopefully he will get back to me soon, thanks.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thanks Ben. Its so strange how this suddenly came on. It almost looks like his eyes are sunken in. He did eat, not as much as normal, and he is walking around but banging into things as though he can't see. Then he lays under the basking light and falls asleep. He never does that.

:(

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Do you think there is any way he could be allergic to coco coir? Or even chlorine in his bath waterÉ

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He hasn't been away from the coil bulb for that long. Give him a chance to heal, definitely get the antibiotic ointment ASAP.
Soak him a couple of times per day. You can drizzle artificial tears (no medications in it) over his eyes a few times per day.

I think it would be odd if he was allergic to the coir. But if you want to be 100% sure, you could switch him out to organic topsoil (ACE hardware brand is good, you can also find at Home Depot, etc. No chemical fertilizers or animal waste). Throw in some leaves, or sphagnum moss here and there. Mist his enclosure several times per day.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info Lynne. I ordered the ointment and I wonder if I can find it at a Pharmacy tomorrow... is it over the counter É
I will get some artificial tears as well tomorrow. He has gone to bed now. It is just strange to me that he didn`t have any eye issues until after that coil bulb was gone for a week... you would think he would have that that problem before...

So first thing tomorrow I will give him a bath. and then one in the evening as normal. He is sure scratching his little eyes a lot. :(
I`ve already been misting his cage at least once a day and I`ve just cleaned the entire thing and the coco coir is somewhat moist now.

thanks again and I will update tomorrow.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Eye problems from coil bulbs take time to develop, and time to get better. Eye wash and the ointment should work well, just need time.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Lots good information. This is a great place to learn and share for sure.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I just woke him up and he is having a bath but keeping his eyes shut. He did open them after I cleaned them with saline solution. They aren't gunky or anything. Just seem so dry. He was all moist though in the coco coir when I woke him up. I've read it also can be a humidity thing. I'm going to check the pharmacy for the eye medication today. Really don't see the eyes as being infected but just in case. He is really small. Is there a problem if he accidently ingests some of the ointment? It is going to be difficult to only apply it to his eyes, since he is so tiny.

I am now using boiled water (that has cooled somewhat) to bathe him in case it is the chlorine in the water. I also had his CHE on last night. I was told to turn it off as it is making everything too hot, but honestly I don't agree right now with that as it is only getting up to 25 celcius at night and he isn't 100% well. I don't want him getting too cool.