Can't wait for Thursday!!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I am getting my first lizard!! That makes a total of two torts and one gecko. I found an adult leopard gecko on Craiglist and I am going to pick him up Thursday morning:) WOOOO!! I'll post pics then:) Any advice? He is coming with all supplies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Congrats! I have a leopard gecko as well as an argentine tegu. My best advice is to read over a couple different care sheets, follow the advice that is said on more than one. Theyre insectivores so feed crickets, roaches, meal worms, superworms, etc. remember to dust with calcium. And when handling never grab by the tail, cause they can drop theirs. Even if he starts running away try your best to just pick him up gently and dont startle him. I prefer my tegu but leopard geckos are great pets as well :)

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
Make sure he's in the right setup. I've seen lots of leos on craigslist being kept improperly. If he's on sand, get rid of it! If swallowed it can cause impaction. They need correct temps, which you can get with under-tank heaters, no lights needed. A thermostat will make sure it doesn't get too hot. Don't leave crickets in because they bite. There are lots of good forums you can search for more tips; I use geckotalk.com personally.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Congrats! They are great lizards. Years ago I had a breeding colony. I now have only two, kept as pets only.

UTH (I suggest ultratherm from reptile basics), cool side in the 70's, basking side floor temp of 90 to 94. 3 hides....one on the cool side, one on the warm side, and a humid hide (very important). Paper towels or newspaper for substrate. I dust every feeding with repashy leopard gecko calcium plus. If you use that, no other supplements are needed.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It's been said already, but it's definitely worth reiterating.. Go over the set up with a fine toothed comb! Most CL animal set ups are inadequate or missing things at best.

One biggie, especially if the set up comes with a UTH (under tank heater) for heat, is a THERMOSTAT. I find almost no casual reptile owners even know what they are, but they're vital to making sure the temps on the warm spot stay within a safe range.
(And I just noticed Amanda mentioned tstats already, lol, among other excellent points!)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can't wait to see the pictures! Leopard geckos are one of my favorites. We always had a few around, as the kids were growing up. They each had atleast one. The last one just died this summer and I do miss his smiling face. Good luck and enjoy! :D