Captive or wild????

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
Hi everyone!
New member here
So story goes this way: My family's friends have a couple of wild caught hermanns tortoises. They keep them in the garden. Couple of days ago they noticed something digging out of the ground, turned out it was 7 baby tortoises. Now my question is are they considered captive bred or wild caught since I noticed everyone recommend captive bred tortoises as pets.

Ps* they want to give me one

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
Problem is that much of the info that is out there waiting to be researched is old, outdated, based on incorrect assumptions, and wrong.
I've been researching in the hermanns tort part of the forum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been researching in the hermanns tort part of the forum

Great! You should be well informed then! :)

We are all here to talk tortoises, so please feel free to ask any and all questions.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they're considered captive-bred. Are you in the UK?

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
Great! You should be well informed then! :)

We are all here to talk tortoises, so please feel free to ask any and all questions.
Yes just one more thing. When I get them(getting two) they have to be in a small container because it's a two day trip. Is that going to be a problem?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes just one more thing. When I get them(getting two) they have to be in a small container because it's a two day trip. Is that going to be a problem?

That should be fine. I would be careful they they don't get too hot or cold, and soak them each and every day during the drive and once you get home too.

They should not live together as a pair. Groups of 3 or more are usually okay until maturity, singles are best, but pairs are usually a problem. If you really want two, then you should set them up separately.

Check out this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
That should be fine. I would be careful they they don't get too hot or cold, and soak them each and every day during the drive and once you get home too.

They should not live together as a pair. Groups of 3 or more are usually okay until maturity, singles are best, but pairs are usually a problem. If you really want two, then you should set them up separately.

Check out this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
That's what I thought. Thanks