Carapace Length vs Body Weight - is this true?

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Book: Mediterranean Tortoises, by Brian Pursal, p55

Calculate the following ratio W/L^3
where
W = weight (grams)
L = carapace length (cm)

Resulting Value:
.21 to .23 = normal healthy adult
.20 = underweight and needs attention
.18 = seriously underweight
.15 = death occurs

My Dalmation tortiose that I've had for 2 weeks is
W = 315 gram
L = 12.7 cm

Ratio = .154 !!!!!!

Is this formula Legit?
Is my new tortoise in trouble?
He has not been eating much, but he has seemed alert and strong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've never used any of those type measurements on my tortoises so I can't tell you if it's a good guide or not. I like to us a very scientific method - I hold the tortoise in my hand. If it feels like a rock, he's heavy enough. If it feels like a tortoise shell full of air, he's underweight.

What do you feed your tortoise?

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I've never used any of those type measurements on my tortoises so I can't tell you if it's a good guide or not. I like to us a very scientific method - I hold the tortoise in my hand. If it feels like a rock, he's heavy enough. If it feels like a tortoise shell full of air, he's underweight.

What do you feed your tortoise?

He definitely feels on the light side - not like a heavy rock.
I've been giving him:

Hybiscus leaves
Hybiscus flower
Kiwi leaves
acorn squash
dandeliion leaves
romaine

He usually will eat the flowers, will eat much of the romaine, but doesn't eat much of anything else (does not like the dandelion leaves at all)

The breeder I got him from said he fed him fed every other day a on a 'mix of spring mix greens, romaine, zucchini, yellow squash, dandelion, corn on the cob, zoo med tortoise diet"

I didn't think to weigh the tortoise when I first got him so I don't know how much weight loss has occurred while I've had him.

Any advice on how I can fatten him up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises should be fed every day. In the wild, during the hot months for those that brumate, they would eat every day that food was available. Feed every day enough that some is left over. If none is left over feed a little more. If too much is left over, feed a little less.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Tortoises should be fed every day. In the wild, during the hot months for those that brumate, they would eat every day that food was available. Feed every day enough that some is left over. If none is left over feed a little more. If too much is left over, feed a little less.

Since I've had him he's never ate more than a single leaf of anything on any given day (has eaten multiple flowers though).
I'm going to try giving him exactly what he's been use to getting, including corn (which I'm not happy about).

Do you think this weight loss could have occured in the 2 weeks I've had him?
How fast can tortoises lose weight when they stop eating?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think we need to see pictures of your enclosure and lighting and have details of the 4 important temperatures- warm side, cool side directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum so we can see what's going on.

It sounds like your breeder gave you outdated care information I suggest you read these for best practice advice.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I also forgot to say that the ratio you describe is called the Jackson Ratio and it doesn't apply to tortoises under 500 grammes in weight.

Your tortoise is too small for it to be accurate.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He definitely feels on the light side - not like a heavy rock.
I've been giving him:

Hybiscus leaves
Hybiscus flower
Kiwi leaves
acorn squash
dandeliion leaves
romaine

He usually will eat the flowers, will eat much of the romaine, but doesn't eat much of anything else (does not like the dandelion leaves at all)

The breeder I got him from said he fed him fed every other day a on a 'mix of spring mix greens, romaine, zucchini, yellow squash, dandelion, corn on the cob, zoo med tortoise diet"

I didn't think to weigh the tortoise when I first got him so I don't know how much weight loss has occurred while I've had him.

Any advice on how I can fatten him up?

Go back to feeding him what the breeder fed him. Quite often tortoises don't recognize 'new' foods as something they can eat.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

This is the 'formula' that should be used. When species proper food offerings are made - this is as good a formula as you can get. It is simple and true.

Mazuri has an instruction on their bag - feed 2-5% body weight (or some such) a day. Well that's just silly, if a tortoise is underweight, more available is better. Water and hydration is the other nutrient that always ought to be foremost in your mind for tortoise weight. It can take many long soaks for a tortoise to re-hydrate IF it is low weight for lack of water.

Also consider that you may have measured the length in some way that was not done by the Pursal who made the formula. Measuring, even something as simple as carapace length is by no means standard.

Consider these as well... https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/healthy-weight-and-size

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Since I've had him he's never ate more than a single leaf of anything on any given day (has eaten multiple flowers though).
I'm going to try giving him exactly what he's been use to getting, including corn (which I'm not happy about).

Do you think this weight loss could have occured in the 2 weeks I've had him?
How fast can tortoises lose weight when they stop eating?
I wouldn't feed the corn. However, when you do feed what the breeder has fed, mix in some of the things you were feeding too. Chop your foods up fine and sprinkle over what is was used to eating and spritz with water. This helps the chopped stuff to stick to the other foods, so in order to eat what he is used to eating, he will get some of the other stuff too. Then slowly, eliminate any of the bad stuff he might have been fed. Eventually he should get used to eating all the foods and you won't have to trick him with the chopping.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses.
It is possible my carapace measurements are off. I'll double check and also change up the diet to more of what he's used to.

Chanchara

Cyprus, Croatia
I also forgot to say that the ratio you describe is called the Jackson Ratio and it doesn't apply to tortoises under 500 grammes in weight.
Your tortoise is too small for it to be accurate.
In my opinion, it's not a very good explanation... o_O

According to Jackson, weight, 500g, corresponds to a length of about 13 cm.

Now length - 12.5 cm, so the tort will soon reach 13 cm and should immediately become harder to 500 grams ... :(

PS: it is desirable to see the photo tortoise....

stevenf625

5 Year Member
In my opinion, it's not a very good explanation... o_O

According to Jackson, weight, 500g, corresponds to a length of about 13 cm.

Now length - 12.5 cm, so the tort will soon reach 13 cm and should immediately become harder to 500 grams ... :(

PS: it is desirable to see the photo tortoise....
Photo. Sorry about quality. I took pics with my flip phone.Rialto_Day01.jpg 0918161354.jpg

Last edited: