Carolina pet supply seed mix

Alyssa

5 Year Member
So I planted my seed mix a couple months ago. I'm thinking I seeded it too thickly? Lol. It's all one type of plant that has made a little jungle for my Russians. They seem to like it though. I will have to try again I suppose. Could it also be that I planted in winter and only some of the seeds germinate in colder weather? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428418516.875614.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That kind of looks like turnip greens. I had found that the mixture you bought usually is heavy on the chia, but that doesn't look like chia to me. you are correct in thinking some seeds germinate at different times. Seeds germinate according to the temperature of the ground, some cooler than others.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
That kind of looks like turnip greens. I had found that the mixture you bought usually is heavy on the chia, but that doesn't look like chia to me. you are correct in thinking some seeds germinate at different times. Seeds germinate according to the temperature of the ground, some cooler than others.

I was wondering what type of plant it is. It has a very shallow root though. I'll have to get a closeup of it. There is definitely some chia growing underneath the Amazon, as well as some clover.

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
That is definitely turnip greens.....they love cool weather! We plant them along with mustard greens in our garden after we plow everything in in autumn. I use them to feed to my chickens (since all the grass and yard weeds are dead), my Beardies and my Tortoises. I live in SC, so many winters they will stay good until spring if we don't get any really cold weather. This year we had a couple of cold, snowy, icy weeks, so they froze, but bounced back in a week or two.